Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: July gathering

The highest power in the land ( my wife Elaina) has granted me permission to be there on the 23rd. I am looking forward to this. For this special occasion I'll be bringing extra yaks. Can I get an Ideal whose interested?
    Why do I paddle a kayak instead of a float tube or a pontoon boat. I like seeing where I'm going not where I've been.
    Paddle safe and Wrap'em Tight
    Rickey Noel Mitchell
    http://www.paddleandflies.com

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! (A touch early.) This sure gives incentive to stick around and make it a full weekend. I, unfortunately, can only make the 22nd. As I am looking around to upgrade my inflatable to a "real" kayak I wish I could be there for the 23rd as well.

I guess that now that Bill has denoted this as an "official" outing we better make it work.

Well...since Bill has declared this the first offical forum gathering and I did miss the Expo I'll be there both the 22 and the 23 rd. If the occasion presents it self and it's alright with bill I'd be happy to do a short Kayak fly fishing seminar. As for the highest power in the land...my wife Elaina...she's coming.
    Why do I paddle a kayak instead of a float tube or a pontoon boat. I like seeing where I'm going not where I've been.
    Paddle safe and Wrap'em Tight
    Rickey Noel Mitchell
    http://www.paddleandflies.com

Alright I'm in (pending final approval from my better half). My birthday happens to be in the same week and there's nothing I'd rather do than go fishing!

Nightgoat and I do have one extra seat on our boat, but who ever hops on would have to take turns driving/ giving me pointers

I haven't done much bass fishing (other than for stripers), but do have an 8wt with a 250 grain 30ft sink tip. I've also got a floating line for it- any top water action out there? Also, aside from weed guards, any suggestions on flys?

I'm really looking forward to this guys!

I would have a 9' #6, 7 or 8 weight rod with a weight forward floating line that is one, two or even three sizes over.

I would have a weight forward floating 'bass' line or a 'salt water' line because the forward, large diameter section is shorter so it will help throw wind resistant bass flies better.

Most of the casting is 10 to 30 feet so having some weight right up front is great.

I think you can do 80% of your black bass fishing with a floating line.

__________________________________________________ ________

We accidentally catch Black Bass while Striper fishing in the Fall and Winter but that is not the coolest way to fish for them.

Spring and Summer is prime time for Black Bass.

Fall and Winter is prime time for Stripers.

__________________________________________________ _________

Normally in the summer the black bass fly fishing will be best early and late but as mentioned the tide movements will influence it some too.

__________________________________________________ __________

For black bass leaders Captain Kevin Doran uses about 6 feet of 15# or 20# Maxima 'Ultra Green' level tippet material.

You could use a Rio 7 1/2' 0x knotless tapered leader tied directly to your fly line. It is stiffer with a large diameter butt for turning over bass bugs.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks for the info Bill, looks like I'll be in for a new spool and line.

Are you fishing mostly clousers out there?

Ricky, glad you can make the 22nd! I'm interested in anything and everything you have to say about kayaks and kayaking!

Chris, glad you can make it too! As Bill suggested, I will likely be out there with a 7 wt. overlined with a bass bug taper floating line. For targeting largemouths in the Delta, I use a floating line exclusively, as I'm primarily interested in the topwater bite and I'm usually targeting the top portion of the water column with whatever I'm throwing out there.

As far as flies, you can fish mostly Clousers but you will miss a lot of the fun. There can be GREAT topwater action in the Delta, so I fish 80%+ of the time with floating deerhair poppers. ONLY when those aren't working at all or under specific conditions/circumstances will I resort to a chartreuse/white flashtail Clouser or large olive woolly bugger.

The Dahlberg Diver is probably the most popular (and one of the most effective) patterns folks use out there. Clousers can work great too.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't add, be fully prepared for the sun! It can REALLY blaze in the Delta in mid/late July. Doesn't seem to bother the fish so much but it will fry you to a crisp if you're not properly prepared, especially with all the reflected light off of the water. I'm pretty sun-tolerant myself, but you won't catch me out there in July without a hat that shades my ears and neck, a long-sleeve shirt, long pants, and sun gloves for my hands. Please take heed.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Chris (and others interested). I'm a topwater man myself and rely almost exclusively on Dahlberg Divers. I will have them to share for those who don't want to invest in a fly they haven't tried.

There is a spot at the end of Sandmound Slough that I very much suspect would be a great spot for Clousers, though I haven't tried that approach. So I would bring some along.

See you all on the 22nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris V

I haven't done much bass fishing (other than for stripers), but do have an 8wt with a 250 grain 30ft sink tip. I've also got a floating line for it- any top water action out there? Also, aside from weed guards, any suggestions on flys?
    Hey Chris -

I'm bringing a soft-ish 7 wt. w/ a floater and an 'I' line , a med-fast 8 wt. w/ a floater , and a bossy 8 wt. w/ 28 feet of leadcore ..... and I plan on using ALL of 'em

Flies ?? diving deerhair frog , Gurglers , Leo G. poppers (they are the BEST !!) , Clousers , buggers , Leeches ...... Don't forget some small nymphs for Sunfish .

What time are we all knocking for lunch ?? 12:00 noon sound OK ???

David