Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: July gathering

Okay, I might have to jump in on this.... I take it there is somewhere to camp out for a night or two? I have a boat that holds three but only fishes two tossing flies. So I have room for at least one and maybe two ( as long as you don't mind alternating who gets to fish) . But Chris V. gets priority as half the boat is his ( the non fish catching half ). So mark me down as tentative :P

Hey Nightgoat, sure hope you can make it! Be a bummer, though, to get stuck in the non-fish-catching half of the boat. Actually, I'm surprised at the number of folks who've signed up so far who've volunteered they have an extra seat for the non-boat-owning folks. Very generous and a unique opportunity for those folks who are interested in Delta bass bugging but don't own any sort of watercraft (yet ). I expect I'll be flinging flies out of my inflatable kayak.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

WOW!!! This is getting better by the hour. It looks like it's the 22nd. (With some people starting earlier and ending later.) Starting point is Lundborg's landing. AND, are we ever lucky!! The Bethel Island Car Bash is the weekend before and that is a great weekend when, unless you love old cars, you DON"T want to be NEAR Bethel Island!!!!

Remember, the low tide (and it's very low, -0.3) is at 11:00 AM so to fish the outgoing tide you want to be there around sunrise. The fishing should be best from sunrise until about 10:00 or 10:30. We'll take a break during the slack tide (for lunch, gabbing and meeting and greeting). and resume in the afternoon. The high is at 5:51 and is not too high at 2.9. So fishing from about 1:30 until 5:00 should be pretty good. The plan, at the moment, is to fish Sandmound Slough. I will be fishing the area in the meantime and if Sandmound begins to turn to dust I will let you know and we will try another spot in the same general area.

Camping at Lundborg's is $16 a night, RV is $24 a night. Their web site is:

http://www.lundborglanding.com/

Looking forward to seeing you all there.

SullyTM Guest

Richard, David, Hairstacker, etal...Looks like July will be family vacation time so I won't be able to join in this gathering...Guess I'll have to settle for the Little Lehigh Creek :)

BTW...Maybe one you should host a Special Edition Fly Swap just for this excursion! You could call it the Lundberg Landing Fly Swap.

Adios. SullyTM

I guess you will need something to float in? Kayak, canoe or boat?

I don't think there will be much bank fly fishing?

Saturday/Sunday is July 22/23.

I guess some could go 21, 22 and 23 or any one or two of those days?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Right, there is no bank fishing, you need a boat, but some of us going have a spare seat on our boat so everyone is invited. If you don't have a boat let us know and we will arrange a seat with someone. The end of Sandmound Slough is easily done in an inflatable kayak or some such. We can transport such boats on the ones with motors. I have a spare two person inflatable kayak if someone wants to try one but doesn't have one of their own.

It looks like the 22nd is the core day, but some may want to do an extra day on the front or back of that.

I, for one, will have some extras of my version of the Dahlberg Diver for anyone who wants to try one and I believe some others will also be sharing.

For anyone who hasn't done this before I think (and others may disagree with me on this) that the best rod is an 8 wt uplined with a ten wt line. You can get by with a six wt rod uplined to an 8, but you might lose some that you manage to hook in the structure and moss. Floating lines are probably best in this situation.

Also, weedguards and minimum 15lb leaders are recommended (5 or 6 feet straight through mono is fine). Don't come undergunned guys 'cos you will be pitching into some pretty challenging structure. I have a spare 7wt uplined with a an 8wf if anybody needs it.
    Mike

(Dead poet's Society? Nah, give me Delta Bass Buggers anyday )

I'm in kayak and all...but dress brightly. In July Delta waters can be crowded and they can be dangerous. That aside I'd love to chase some bass with you gentlemen .
    Why do I paddle a kayak instead of a float tube or a pontoon boat. I like seeing where I'm going not where I've been.
    Paddle safe and Wrap'em Tight
    Rickey Noel Mitchell
    http://www.paddleandflies.com

My Birthday is the 22 so I expect presents! Not really. It's really my birthday but I don't expect presents. Actually I don't know if I can get away on my birthday. But I'll be there on the 23rd. also Is that the David I know?
    Why do I paddle a kayak instead of a float tube or a pontoon boat. I like seeing where I'm going not where I've been.
    Paddle safe and Wrap'em Tight
    Rickey Noel Mitchell
    http://www.paddleandflies.com

This will be our group's first offical outing.......yahoo!
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........