Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: July gathering

Default July gathering

For those of you who have not been following the previous thread some of us are planning an outing out of Lundborg's Landing (down Piper Slough from the Sugar Barge) probably fishing Sandmound Slough. Dates are either July 21 or 22 from dark to dark with lunch and fishing stories (fantastic fibbing to the rest of the world) in the middle. Ya'll come. \/

If you need directions let us know.

I would love to join the list for some bassin and I'll have a spot open for uno mas on my boat. Si or no?

Charlie, welcome aboard! The more, the merrier!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Are you camping out somewhere?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

SullyTM Guest

Where is this location? I'm checking the calendar. Might be able to swing a "day" trip. Thanks, Richard. Thom

Hey Thom! Sure hope you can make it! I'm good for either the 22nd or 23rd for a one day session myself. I can't make the 21st, so sure hope it isn't on that day, ha.

As far as the location, Lundborg Landing is located at 6777 Riverview Road, Bethel Island, California. To get there, you make your way to Bethel Island Road (which is just south-west of Frank's Tract), turn right onto Gateway Road, and then follow until you reach the Lundborg Landing sign.

If you go to www.mapquest.com, just do a search on "Bethel Island, CA." Then zoom in and you will see Bethel Island Road and Gateway Road. Then zoom out to see how best to get to Bethel Island Road from your location.
    -- Mike

I've wanted to do a Bass bug get together for quite a while now .... Glad it's coming together !!

For those who don't know Charlie ..... he's a great guy , pretty fair cook (from what I've heard ...) and the BEST rigger out there -

List so far is ....

Richard
    Mike Newman
    Hairstacker
    Charlie G.
    David Lee
    ??SullyTM??

Barring work , I'll be there Friday afternoon , and probably leave Sunday morning . We can BBQ at our campsite or eat @ the resort (good chow and drinks there) . Candida will be with me .... being a savage w/ spinning gear

I can't wait !!!!

David

Hey David, I, uh, of course, know nothing about this spinning stuff, but make sure to supply Candida with some 3/0 or 4/0 worm hooks and some 5" Senkos. I would suggest watermelon w/black flake or watermelon w/black and red flake as an excellent start. Rig 'em weightless Texas-style and tell her to flip it as close to cover as possible on a semi-slack line and let it drop to the bottom. After a moment, reel in the slack, slowly pull the rod tip all the way up to bring the Senko up and let it dead fall again on a semi-slack line. Repeat.

You want it to fall on a semi-slack line so it will fall straight down rather than swing like a pendulum but yet you want to stay connected enough to feel the hits. No weight is needed, as they're pretty heavy already and fall pretty fast as is. They dead fall horizontally with wiggling tips, which bass find irresistable. They'll probably nail it on the way down and sometimes on the way up, but the hits are often easily detectable, if not savage. I will be very surprised if she doesn't get into some good fish. Uh, so I've been told. . . .
    -- Mike

Errr ..... thanks , buddy !!

Actually - she's more of an 'active' sort - spinnerbaits , Rapalas , etc. . Every once in a while .... I go thru the old tackle box from my gear days (1968-1994) and marvel at all the cool stuff I used to throw before I started flying . I don't miss it a bit !!

I'm starting to DROOL thinking about this trip

David

Hmmm. . ., "active" sort you say, eh? Well then, may I suggest you supply her with at least one Snag Proof Wiggle Wog? These things look like an out-sized tadpole and float when still but swim just under the surface when retrieved with a very tantalizing tail action (their tail is shaped like those on a Castaic swimbait ). The other great thing about these things is that, since their hooks are oriented on top just like a Snag Proof Frog, you can walk 'em across weed mats without gunking up or getting snagged. Imagine a big 'ol bass busting up through the mat to get it. . . . In any case, she can fish it as fast or as slow as she prefers. A great way to get into some topwater action with a spinning rod. Errr, or so I've been told. . . .
    -- Mike