Thread: The wild Smith River on the Northern California coast

Default The wild Smith River on the Northern California coast

This is the last great Steelhead and Salmon river in the state that has no dams on it.

It has the largest average size Steelhead in the state.

It has the largest average size King Salmon in the state.

I can't believe that they let people kill these wild Steelhead?????????

I also feel that this river should not be planted with hatchery fish. Maybe some kind of help with hatching only wild strains of fish and letting them go when they are small so they will be like wild fish.

The fishing, logging, development, mining, agriculture and dewatering should be closely watched to keep this treasure safe for greedy, stupid people.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Wild Rivers.....

Hmmmm,....As I recall, there already is a private hatchery on the Smith at Rowdy Creek. This hatchry was/is( ) funded prvately thru promotions by the Chamber of Commerce. The fish raised are stocked into the Smith and, I believe, from Smith River fish stocks.... In view of the existance of the hatchery and the revenue produced by fisherman who come to the Crescent City area from all over California/Oregon to fish the river, I believe that the decision was made to allow keeping fish caught.

Now, I'm not a fan of bait fishing and some fo the practices of some sleazy guides from both sides of the border but the fact is that Del Norte County was hit heavily, back in the '70's when the Carter Administration made that area into a National Park thereby ending many activities/jobs that provided income to families in that area.... Until the prison (Pelican Bay) was located there, Crescent City didn't have a bright future. I understand that there're some trade-offs involved but do believe that a lot of legislation to help the situation up there was well intended. The results are still a little clouded.

Just as Bill feels, I truly hope this river and its fish will be protected for the future. However, the threats are many. Including a long term proposal to develop an open pit mine on the plateau above the north side of the river. It hasn't happened, yet. But few of those types of proposals ever die entirely

The Smith is a river that deserves our constant attention....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Bill. I agree with you about the Smith. This time of year there is a chance to catch a very large cutt also. I spend a few days in the spring fishing cutts, a very overlooked fishery.
    As far as protection is concerned, Cal Trout is in the process of trying to purchase Goose Creek from a timber company, the Feds were suposed to come up with some of the funding but it did not happen. Goose Creek is a pristeen water shed and a major spawning trib. Contact Cal Trout for more information.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

Bill-did you hear of something that may change the rivers status?

I'm sure that the river is protected from damming, development, so forth by the Wild & Scenic Rivers Act.
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless