Thread: First Shad Today

Default First Shad Today

I just saw the first two shad caught this morning on the Yuba.

No, I didn't catch them, and what was unique was that the boat that caught them wasn't fishing for them either. We were all after stripers.

Another guide boat next to me was jigging for stripers using Gibbs minnows and Kastmasters. Surprisingly, two shad grabbed the jigs and these were not small jigs.

I guess it's about time we start getting serious with them,
    TONY

Tony,

Keep the reports coming. I'm checking daily on the shad and striper updates. Can't wait to stick some shad this year. Is the American flowing at a decent CFS? Looking to do some striper fishing.

Jay

I saw two 15 lb stripers that were caught by guys spin fishing for shad on the American Monday night. The spin guys were averaging 15 shad apiece that night. I hooked only a couple od shad because I couldn't get to a spot where the current was right and have enough room to backcast. Jeff C.

Default Shad and Stripers

Hi Jay,

By the time you get back up here things will be in full swing.

See Ya in a couple weeks, TONY

Tony,

Can't wait to get you down here. Jim should have a couple stories from his week here. He just left for San Jose del Cabo and the flight back to the rat race. He did pretty good on Jacks, skippies (big) and small dorado
    Hopfully by the time you get here the dorado will be in semi-full swing.The roosters haven't shown up yet

One thing, practice those knots. That was the main problem this week.
    Purchase new leader material. Make sure it hasn't been sitting on the shelf for a year

Jay