Thread: Fly Line Longevity

Default Fly Line Longevity

How long does your fly line last? I'm talking floating line here. I have a 5 wt Sage line that just isn't cutting it. It's about 5 years old with maybe 40-45 days a year. I was never really that impressed with it to begin with, but now the last 10-12" starts to sink almost immediately. I've cleaned it, but that didn't help much. I know I could just cut off the last foot, but I'm wondering if it might not be time for a new line....

Default Fly Lines...????

Not sure if replacing a floating line because the tip of it sinks. You haven't said whether the line is a level, WF or DT If it's level or double taper, reverse it and continue to fish. If it's a WF line, you might have to replace it if there're other signs of wear such as a cracked surface, etc.

I tend to use lines until they drop dead in their tracks. I've had some lines that're still usable for 15 years and some were used exclusively in alkaline waters.... With the price of lines, I wouldn't replace one until I was sure I couldn't still use it with slight modification.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Some people buy a new trout line every season.

I think after 5 years I would get a new one.

It is the best $60 you can spend to improve you fly fishing.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

My most used lines last about 18 months...they get used hard! My specialty lines that I use 12 times a year will last a looooong time. If you never liked the line anyway, toss it, otherwise, just clip that 12" off it. Its unlikely it'll effect the taper enough to effect the performance greatly.

Jay

Most fly lines last about 4-5 years with moderate use. I recommend purchasing a new fly line because your line is the most important part of your gear, IMHO. You can take a cheap rod and reel, select a proper weight of line that is slick (shoots easilyand smooth through the guides when shaking out/mending line) and your outfit will feel great.

If money is a concern try cutting off 12" but you will be cutting a little bit into the designed taper of the fly line and may alter how it handles while during a cast (12" isn't very far into the taper but it may change it's turnover.) The tips of floating lines have been known to sink for a long time, probably the most complained about issue with floating lines. The tip is one of the thinnest diameter sections of a fly line, the thin diameter doesn't contain enough boyant material ( microsphers/balloons) to keep it afloat like the thicker body section of the line (especially after the line has been fished for 5 years.)

I would recommend the Rio Grand from Rio fly lines for a new line, it has a new high-floating tip section that has been developed to counteract the sinking.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I get about 100 days out of a fly line. That's full, hard days of fishing. Yours has landed twice that long (5 years at 40 days a year is 200 days). You won't do any better than that in my experience.

I find Cortland 444 lines (peach and SL) to be the most durable lines I have tried. I have had good luck with the Sage saltwater lines. I hear some of the airflo lines are more durable but haven't tried them. SA lines have consisently been the least durable for me. The regular Sage performance tapers seem marginally better than the SA's.

I have some serious issues with floating fly lines that you do. You would think for $60 that some company could come up with a line that floats out of the box without dressing it. Without exception every line brand I have tried sinks, I think they must wick moisture or something. I am waiting for the day when floating fly lines really float. Until that time, I dress them with floatant 2-3 times a day while fishing.

I don't think chopping the end off of the line will help much with the floating and I do know it will make the presentation sloppier.

-John

Thanks everybody! The advice is greatly appreciated

All floating lines SUCK .

The ONLY one I've found that has a tip that actually floats for any length of time is the Rio Nymph taper - mine floated high for 6 trips last year and I think it would do just fine now . Very few things chap my arse like spending $60.00 bucks on the latest/greatest/most techno=advanced garbage that is the 'hot-ticket' at the local shop .... then , finding that just like all the rest of the 'best' ..... it is just plain lame

Go buy a new line - fish it for a few weeks , then .... when it sinks/cracks/sticks ...... demand a refund . Five years is a bit long , so see how they crap-out after five weeks . The line mfgs. should back a product that can last a while .... if they can't , don't buy their gear anymore .

Truth hurts .

David

David, the new Rio Grand lines have the same floating tip as the Nymph line.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member