Thread: Low Elevation West Slope Sierra's

Default Low Elevation West Slope Sierra's

Went on a stream surveying trip on Sunday and visited three different streams/rivers. Two of the streams were perfectly crystal clear, running a little heavy, and 40 degree's. Fish were looking up in the shallower flat spots, as rainbows took dries. The other river was running very heavy, muddy, and 44 degree's. You can tell the streams are starting to drop some and clear, water temps will probably continue to stay very cold. In three weeks I think the streams will begin to offer up plenty of opportunities for everyone. I appologize for not being stream specific but I think that discovering waters on your own is part of the enjoyment of fly fishing and also keeps the crowds down allowing you some solitude while casting to your favorite species. I do at times mention some streams as in my post, Fishing Possibilities, but other times I don't if I feel the water just couldn't maintain it offerings if it experienced a lot of pressure. ARMO

Just out of curiousity Armo, what do you consider low elevation streams? I will be out of school in two weeks and was thinking of doing the same thing as you, that is, looking at some lower elevation waters that might not be flooded with runoff. I like to head up higher in the Sierras, but I suspect it will be a while before that is very productive. I am just wondering how high it is practical to fish at this time of year.

Phil

Default Low Elevation West Slope Sierra's

Each of the streams that I visited were about 2500 feet in elevation. After seeing the run-off of the Truckee this morning on the morning news I would venture to say the melt is on its way. The newsman reported that DWR said it would reach its height around the last wek of May or the first week of June. I would assume that the entire west slope will experience much of the same. The smaller tributaties will come off first offering some excellent opportunities at 2500' and lower. The bugs are ready, saw a number of mays and caddis in the air, and a few lonely stones. Have fun and be careful, some of the roads were in bad shape and littered with rocks and in a few cases boulders. ARMO

The Only Places fish-able in Logan Utah area are the tributaties that dump into the Logan river. Cody and I fished The Temple fork at around 6000 feet. Most of the snow in this area has melted. You could see small Cutts and Browns holding along the edge and some cruising the Beaver ponds. They loved a Orange Humpy .We did see two LARGE brown trout 24-26'' in a hole the size of a VW bug. They dropped to the bottom at the disappeared into cover even though I crawled up to the hole . I never even had a chance to cast.

We plan on backpacking back into this area and spend the night and fish the for the big browns at sunset and at first light with these !!

A few photos of the Temple Fork.

Here are two shots of the smaller tributaries that I visied last Sunday. ARMO