Thread: Surf's up, again!

Brett Guest

Default Surf's up, again!

These photos are from Capt. Billy Sandifer, at Padre Island National Seashore. Enjoy.

You can keep those Bull Sharks Brett

I figure you guys don't wade much there .......

Catch any Jacks on your fly gear yet ??

David

Default Ulua

Aloha, here is a picture of an ulua up close. GT's are big jacks! This one was over 50lbs. i also got two small ono today. Check out those teeth. Mems.

Don Memmer

Brett Guest

Default Wet wading

Hey David

No, I have yet to catch a jack - I am going to try for the "Graham Slam" with Capt. Scott Graham. That would be a tarpon, jack, and red in the same day. If you can pull it off, your next trip with him is FREE!

As for wading, these guys in TX are CRAZY! They regularly wade into the surf in order to place their bait in the right spot, which may be out a few hundred feet or so. Also, I see people wading in the bays all the way up to their chest, fishing for reds and trout. Usually they have their bleeding, thrashing fish attached to a stringer which is then attached to their body (with a quick release buckle, I think). Must be a Darwin thing, ie: natural selection. Corpusfishing.com has lots of pix of guys catching big sharks in the same surf they just waded in.

Default Jacks or better...???

Hey Don,.... It's hard to tell which is the bigger predator from the picture, you or the fish

Brett,.... You might be right about it being self destructive.... I spent a summer on the beach in the New Orleans/Long Bech, Miss area when I was a kid and witnessed many people (including myself) doing things in the surf that would invite injury, etc. We used a 50' seine to gather bait each AM. wading into the gulf and sweeping back to the beach. Many very large stingrays and small sharks. Used to be amazed at swimmers/waders around Lake Ponchetrain (didn't spell that right ) with Barracuda/Sharks/Stingray's cruisin' around. Lotsa big brackish water catfish back there to step on, too.

I spent some time the Doc's office gettin' repaired after meeting up with a few of 'em
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Don,

Nice photos! Keep them coming.

Wingman

Thats an incredible ulua Don! You didnt take that beast with a flyrod did you?

Jay

Default If only!

Hey Jay, nah we got this bad boy in the Hilo trollers tourney on sunday. It hit a maurader on 80lb test. We were after ono and I did get two 25lb ones. We did have an ono almost jump in the boat when we were clearing lines to land these fish.
    I have hooked monsters like this with my flyrod, but was unable to stop them. I have caught a 12lb ulua with my flyrod, that is my best on the fly so far. I am going to x-mas island next summer, so I will try to beat that record. You would be amazed how strong these fish are, total takcle busters. They are mean, just look at that mouth! Laterz, Mems.
    Don Memmer