Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: middle feather info

Default middle feather info

What's up guys and gals?
    I'm sniffing around for info on the M Feather and N American rivers. I hope to make a couple of three day trips over the summer to fish them. Info on the NA has been easy to find but the MF is a harder nut to crack. There are plenty of shallow refs to the MF on numerous web sites but nothing in-depth. Any personal experiences, trail/fishing books, or web sites that you could share/suggest would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks!
    2short
    aka Earl

Default Reference Materials....

I have two books that decribe the middle Feather country....The first is, Trout Fishing Guide, Plumas National Forest by Andrew Harris. The second is, Flyfisher's Guide to Northern California by Seth Norman. Both these books describe the fishing/country/facilities, etc., and include rudimentary maps. They're both paperbacks.....

Have fun reading
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thanks big "D" I was certain you would have some input. You are truly a cornucopia of local, ledgend & lore (I love alliteration!).
    2short
    aka Earl

The four highest trails off of the Foresthill Rd. leading to the N.F. American are pretty mean but lead to some outstanding fishing.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Ed,
    have you walked/fished the trail that links Mumford Bar to Sailor Flat? What section of the NFA would you recommend?
    aka Earl

I've fished Mumford bar and Sailor flat individually but never linked the two. The whole stream in that area appears to be excellent fishing, that is, when the runoff subsides. I saw evidence of a massive stonefly hatch up there last year but I don't know if the stream is fishable when it comes off. I walked part way between the two trails once when I got slightly,er, confused about the way out, it looks accessable pretty much anywhere. Oh yeah, when the USFS literature says it's four wheel drive to the trailhead, they mean it, that's from past experience.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Default Middle Fork of the Feather

Man, I tell ya, just put that place out of your mind. That is one friggin deep gorge. Only went there once and it was enough for me. I've been to some tough spots but geez....it was California's answers to Hell's Canyon.

I you are into fishing/hiking abuse, I say you go to the Middle Fork of the Yuba below Miltion Res. Not easy, but absolutly beautiful. There is the "Gates of the Antipodies" then Box Canyon #1, then #2, and #3. think there is a trail down there. It is tough but can be done. Since it is tough, doubt anyone goes down there. A real dandy.

OregonSalmon which river were you refering to?
    aka Earl

Default Milton Resrvoir....???

I believe that Milton Reservoir is on one of the forks of the Yuba River (can't recall if it's the middle or north fork??). I haven't fished up the canyon that far myslef but understand, from friends, it's very scenic and decent fishing.... And a real hike.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Re: Middle Fork of the Feather

"Since it is tough, doubt anyone goes down there."

I did! And here's what I found.......(MFY)

Ran into a cattle drive on the way up.

Hiked down to find this:

And this......

As for the MFF.....the book mentioned above (Plumas NF) is a good one. Detailed directions to trailheads, etc. And yes......that canyon is steep! We did the Butte Bar Trail last year.....it's short (1.5 mi.), but about a 1,600 foot drop......easy on the way in......but I strongly suggest drinking all your beer you brought down with you prior to heading back up to the car!

There are couple places you can 4x4 to. Cleghorn Bar OHV Trail and a few other gnarly roads. From my experience, the fish get bigger as you move downstream in the canyon. But any access you go to, there are lots and lots of fish. The hikes keep most people away, so you won't have any problem finding solitude.

I'd wait a month or so before heading down into the canyon of both those rivers you mentioned. They're pretty much raging right now. I'm assuming you're a strong hiker, so go for it. But for the 1000's of people "lurking" on this Board.......these canyons are NO JOKE! It's hardcore fishing at it's finest! Steep as hell, lots of rattlers, poison oak, etc, etc. This is NOT a stroll down to the local trout stream! So, take that as you may.........

Anyway.....here's a few images of what the Butte Bar area looks like: