Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May Fly Swap

Default May Fly Swap

Proposing a Czech Nymph May fly swap.
    Unlimited swappers, open until May 8th.
    I would like everyone to tie 2 flies per sign-up, toe tags much appreciated.
    Potential due date May 31st.
    If everyone could verbalize a general color, I think we could get away from 20 green ones, although, don't want to limit.
    Please PM me for address or further info.
    Thanks.

Should be a great summer for experimenting with them, no split and drop a midge.

Well what the heck, I've never tied one of these, but I'm game. The flies do look awesome. I'll be tying up one olive and one tan, both with brown heads, and they will be caddis larva imitations.

I do have a question, though -- what plastic can be used for the backside? Will a sliced up Glad sandwich baggy work for these?
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

do have a question, though -- what plastic can be used for the backside? Will a sliced up Glad sandwich baggy work for these?

I have been using clear elastic used for swinsuits for clear backs ect. I bought it at a sewing shop.

This should be an interestig swap. I wish I had time to join in. I will be busy getting ready for Baja.

Great Hairstacker-

Before we get too far along here, let me clarify what I meant by two flies--
    As opposed to 2 seperate flies per tier, like it looks you replied with, I meant each tier would supply each swapper with 2 of the SAME flies.
    Like in your case, pick either the green or tan, then supply each person who signs up 2 of the same fly.
    Make sense??
    I thought it would be nice to have more than 1 fly, of each tyer, once we get to swapping.
    If H.S. chooses to do a GREEN one, and ten people sign up, H.S. would have to turn in 20 flies???
    okay

As far as the shell/ back/what-have-ya, I have used a Glad bag, etc. and they work fairly well. What really turned the corner for me with them was the discovery of "SILI SKIN."
    Actually, I think that is the correct spelling. There are numerous products/ styles/ colors. I know the gang at the shop has them.
    Experiment.
    The only other thing I would say to shoot for would be massive amounts of weight. Tungsten head, lead wrapped body.

I actually have been killing the largemouth on them this spring.

I've been fly fishing for a while, and I know this may sound stupid, but what exactly is a Czech nymph. I have heard of them but have never seen one. Oh yeah, can anybody tell me the tying instructions for these nymphs.
    "If you don't where you're going, any road will take you there."

I'm not up to speed on the Czech Nymphs but I do have a picture of some.

Mark

J.R.-
    Basically two components make up the theme.
    1. weight
    2. skin/shelled/back casing

The ones Sculpin posted are really nice, I saw those earlier.

Add lead to the shank, tie in a 4'' length of 5x tippet well past the hook bend. Tie down Sili Skin, sandwhich bag, etc. to the point that 5x was taken to, again, go well past the bend in the hook.
    Add dubing, pull the skin over the top of the body to the hook eye, and I make a couple of knots to hold the skin. At this point the 5x is still at the rear of the fly, wrap the 5x over and aroud, rib-like, up the body and tie off at eye with a couple more knots made with the thread, still holding the original skin tie-down.

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/czech/
    This is a pretty good link that could probably help better than my babbling above.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the technical advice!!

Uh, I guess I'll be tying up an olive one with a brown head.

Here's another picture of 224 of these things to illustrate the zillions of possible color combinations to further confuse those who can't decide on what color to pick :

www.czechnymphs.com/fly_index.html

I'll bet these things are just killer in pocket water, sure hope we get good participation.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default May Fly Swap sign-up

1. Hairstacker- olive/brown
    2. slage-orange

Default Jot me down

Greetings, Slage

Jot me down for the Czech Nymph swap. Definitely, a great fly to be using in early season. How many actually use a three Czech Nymph rig?? I find it not worth my time to go beyond a two fly rig. Two's company...but three's a crowd.
    Season opens for many of us this weekend. Going to Alper's Ranch to fish the Upper Owens on Tuesday. Looking forward to some great weather and good fish.
    Cheers, Steve
    Steve Schalla
    Flyfishing the Sierras
    http://stevenojai.tripod.com