Thread: Lower Yuba

Default Lower Yuba

My dad and I hit the Lower Yuba Saturday and today above the bridge. It was tough fishing, but we
    found two spots where the fish were stacked up. On saturday i caught about 4, 2 of them on dries.
    The dry was a skwala stone, and i caught the others on a stone nymph. Because i actually caught
    fish for the first time in a long time, i had to go back today. We hit the same spots, and did ok. I only
    landed two, but i lost about a 24 incher. All of the fish today took a size 10 Pink Fink, except instead
    of pink marabou, it was gray.

Bolden,

That is great news! The Yuba is one of my favorite rivers to fish. I have not fished it since before Christmas. I had a couple of questions if you dont mind answering. How was the water color? How was the wading? What is a "pink fink"? Is that some kind of streamer?

Chris

The water color was good, at least 3 to 4 feet, but the wading was tough because in some parts it was
    deep right off the bank. The spot where we caught most of our fish we didn't even get wet.

The pink fink is one of Andy Burk's streamers. Here's a picture of one with gray marabou, but i also use a
    lot of different color marabous. The fish liked it on the swing at the end of the drift. The instructions for it
    are in the April 2006 California Fly Fisher magazine, Page 23.

To chime in on the wading. I was there a month or so ago and one thing I found is that with the high flows, it is DEEP in places two feet from the bank. I took a couple of steps where I went from my shin in one step to me nipples with the next...

BE CAREFUL!!