Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fine Day at Folsom Lake! NFF

Default Fine Day at Folsom Lake! NFF

Well I know this isn't a flyfishing report but now days I figure any kind of report would be OK. Fished Folsom from the bank today. Started around 9:00 and quit at 2:30. Unbelievable day! Got 20+ fish to hand and should have had 35+. Little rusty with the hook set . Got all the fish off of Dolan's Point using Senko's rigged Texas style. (That should make Jason happy ) Just a large pod of fish staging for the spawn sitting on a rock ledge that extended towards the dam. 3 Smallies, 1 Largemouth and the rest spotties. Nothing large, ranging from 1 1/2# to 3#. Beautiful day and had the whole place to myself. Threw the flyrod for a while with a sink tip but couldn't keep the fly out of the rocks. Should have put on my floater but I didn't. The only problem with getting a lot of Bass is the raw thumb from taking out the hooks . Folsom seems to be fishing pretty good if you need to get out.

BTW: Can you float tube Folsom? If so I'll be back with the fly rod in hand next time! Hope I didn't offend anyone!
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

Great Report!

Thanks for keeping the inspiration alive.

Katz
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

I think May will be very good at many reservoirs and lakes for bass.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

How deep were they holding , Mike ??

David

Would you mind sharing where you are fishing?? im not familar with folsom at all..been to browns ravine once.. is the dam in the same direction????? i stop by it once..not sure if thats the dam...

im taking my fly rod tomorrow..going to try a wolly bugger and a clouser minnow... any other fly recommendations???

thank you

The man got a raw thumb from unhooking too many fish. Yep, not much symphathy here.

FishyMe, I think a size 6 olive woolly bugger and a size 2, 3-4" long chartreuse/white flashtail Clouser is what I would start with. . . . Would be helpful to know, though, how deep Mike was fishing and where in the column the fish were hitting the Senko. That Senko sure is a nice lure for cold water conditions, as you can fish it so slow and the fish don't really have to chase it.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

SullyTM Guest

Hey Mike...Fishin' is fishin'. Nothing wrong with using a spin unit IMO.

Do you have fun? Nuff said!

Later...Thom

all i have right now is a floating line... if i can catch one bass on my fly rod.. it will make my day!

I was fishing Doton's point not Dolan's, sorry about that. You can access it from the Granite Bay entrance. A floating line should work fine, you can work your flys a little slower without snagging up on all the rocks out there. The fish were in 8' to 10' of water is my best guess. Good luck Fishy!
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

I'm glad to hear that you got some fish Mike, keep it up. Chico pond fishing is just around the corner. We'll do it again, I'll call you.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member