Thread: Middle Fork Stony Creek

Default Middle Fork Stony Creek

I was reading the list of wild trout streams on the DFG website and came across this creek north of Clear Lake. Does anyone have any experience fishing at Stony Creek? I wouldn't mind making the drive if it is worth the trip.

Phil

Default Stony Creek....

Seems to me that there was an arrticle about Stony in California Fly fisher but don't hold me to it.... I couldn't locate it in my back issues. Ill keep looking; maybe it's in one of the others....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I used to fish it a bit. It's kinda a unique place in the high desert of the Medecino range. Not the place you'd expect to see a trout stream. It fishes best in the winter and into the spring before the water levels drop off to summer flows and the water temps become a factor. It's a fairly small, high gradient stream with a fairly prolific population of inverts. The most prolific hatches of Calineurias I've ever seen. The fish are mainly on the smaller side with enough decent sized fish(12-14") and the occasional bigger fish to keep it interesting. Watch out for poison oak and snakes if you go.

The road in washes out from time to time near Fouts Springs. I'd contact this guide for current conditions and accessability:

http://www.xcaddis.com/mfo_contact.html
    Middle Fork Outfitters > Contact

Yes be careful and watch out for the poison oak and rattlesnakes!
    A LOT of both !!!

Dave is your man for info or if you need a guide for the Stoney.

Default Stony Creek

Presently the road has been closed to the general public at the Information center approximately 8 miles form the stream. The road sluffed off into the canyon on the grade. The county will not attempt to repair the missing section until the rains stop. The middle fork is ragging high and probably won't be very fishable until mid June. The dirt road also sluffed off about a mile from the stream and the forest service already had the last 2 miles fenced off prior to the paved road being lost. The lower section is toast as well. I went up three weeks ago and the water was about 6 feet over the banks. No dam, makes it tough. It will give the rattlesnakes time to get ready for the summer, poison oak should florish as well.

I fished it a few years ago. IT IS A VERY LONG BAD ROAD FROM ROSEVILLE. The stream is small and the fish also.It is a nice looking Sierra type stream.After these rains you may not be able to even get there early in the year.

Default stony

Chemdoc - all posts above are accurate. Armo is your guy - he is the streamkeeper and has spent more time on that water then anyone - so he'd know about the conditions of the water and the roads getting there.