Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trout opener

Default trout opener

Well, we all know how the opener is going to go, it'll be cold, raining, windy, water levels at flood stage, and no fish will be caught. Won't even be worth the time to go out. I'll be hitting the Rubicon River, where are you going to be?
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

can i go too? where is the rubicon?

Hi Ed,

After reading your posts last season I have been wanting to try the Rubicon, but I think I will go later in the season when the water levels drop. Will it be a raging torrent this time of year, or can it be fished?

Phil

the best thing to hope for right now, is that the temps stay relatively cool for the next few weeks, and not turn to summer all of a sudden. Once the warmer weather arrives, that'll be it for months.

Currently places like Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows have a 20' base and Kirkwood closer to 30 feet. At least if I can't fish, I can ski all spring!!!!

Figure on similar conditions to last year. I'm putting off backcountry fishing plans till August (at least).
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

WHere can i find more information on the rubicon?

Thank you

I'm trying to some friends and my dad into trip to the Silver Fork of the American on the 30th, not really opening day, but it's tradition for my brother and I to watch the first day of the NFL draft which happens to be the 29th, go figure. I don't mind trudging trough the snow to do something I love.
    "If you don't where you're going, any road will take you there."

Regarding my first post; how does the Silver Fork look, or has anybody been up there recently with all this recent rain/snow. Shoulda thought of that before I opened my big mouth. If it doesn't look fishable by opening day or soon after, I guess it's back to trolling Commanche and Amador.
    "If you don't where you're going, any road will take you there."

Has anyone ever tried fishing the South Fork of the American on the way to south lake tahoe. I see it a lot and have always wanted to try it out. I know its high right now but maybe later in the season. Any info would help thanks.

Default Book

I can recomend an excellent book for you. It's Fly Fishing the Tahoe Region by Steven Rider Haggard. If your into small streams, dry flies and scenery you'll love it. I've just about worn my copy out! It's probably avaliable at Kiene's

If anyone goes please take a thermometer with you.

Please report the water temperatures on the places you fish.

If I had a water temp from any trout stream I could tell you what is happening.

Under 40 degrees really sucks. Probably what 80% of our trout streams are now.

At 50 degrees you can catch them in the slower water on the edges in the afternoons with nymphs.

At 55 degrees places start to get going.

Seem like 57 degrees is good.

60 to 65 degrees is really good.

I think 70 degrees is OK but warmer than that gets ugly.

75 degrees starts to get deadly.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........