Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass Flies

Default Bass Flies

I stumbled across this pattern last year the night before going bass fishing. It was the blind pig finding an acorn scenario. I though, bass love worms, (I think). Rabbit fur might move like a worm in the water. Hence this fly was born. The one on the bottom is the color I used last year with good results the couple times I went out. I have been combining some other colors. I am as far from a bass expert as you can get...any suggestions on this pattern?

The fly is aprox. 3 1/2" long, tied on a #2 tiemco bass hook. I made a weed guard with a very light guage wire I got at the hobbie store. This fly is incredibly weedless yet still sticks the fish really good. I took it to the expo ponds last year and pulled it thru the thickest weed beds I could find. With the cone head and the weed guard, it came thru the weeds like a greased pig.

Jay

Heres one of the fish that fell for it

Jay, I think these look killer! I especially like that chartreuse one at the top, I'm going to have to tie a few up myself. May I ask what you're collaring these things with?

A LOT to be said for a bass fly that's truly weedless but still sticks fish well. Have only one suggestion -- get out there and fish 'em more often and post photos of the fish here for us all to drool over.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Mike.

Thanks! The flies are 100% rabbit. The tail is zonker strip and the collar is palmered crosscut. You could litteraly tie 20 of these an hour, once the hook is rigged with the cone and weed guard...which takes about 1 minute. VERY easy.

Jay

Default Bass Flies....

Hi Jay,.... Good looking patterns. Like Mike, I like the chartreuse colored fly. My suggestion would be to try all black or black with a chartruese collar.... I'm always partial to black as it usually produces under the wdest varierty of conditions/situations....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

bump

Default Bass Flies....

Hi Jay,.... You adding some more stuff about those flies I've been busy developing a Shad pattern for Stripers, based on a Hollow Fly type. Not ready to make any claims yet, tho.

Got any pictures of Bass caught this summer
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hey Jay
    This post makes me think I should throw the electric motor on the boat and we can hit the slough for bass tomorrow evening if the steelhead are stubborn. After all you do have a request for pictures.

Mark

Hi Jay,.... You adding some more stuff about those flies
    Darian. I was digging up the picture for Jerry. He was talking about ideas for subsurface bass in another thread.

Wow Mark! I'm gonna have to go look for the box with those bass flies.....messy garage...Here I come!

Jay

The manager at the lake we fish up north LOVES bunny bugs like that for northerns. Simple, fast to concoct, and VERY effective. Exactly his criteria.
    Wonder how L. Davis is doing?
    ....lee s.
    PS - Good looking bugs.

Default Bass Flies....

Hey Jerry,.... Have you read Tom Nixon's book on fly tying for bass If not look up, "Calcasieu Pigboat", a fly used throughout the south for Black Bass and may meet your criteria for a fly....

Author unknown