Thread: Gordon Griffiths 14/0 Fly Tying Thread

Default Gordon Griffiths 14/0 Fly Tying Thread

Any of you guys try this stuff? A few weeks ago, I needed some red thread to tie up some soft hackles and ended up buying a spool of Gordon Griffiths 14/0 based on a recommendation. I was told that it ties very nicely with little bulk and would be just as strong as, say, Uni-Thread 8/0 but finer. Turned out to be all true. I also think it displays less tendency to fray. I was so impressed I ended up buying every color available and plan to migrate all of my 8/0 and smaller requirements over to this thread.

It is a single ply thread made in England, lightly waxed, and comes in 100 meter spools. If you tie size 14 and smaller but particularly if you tie midges and other similar-sized flies, I highly recommend you try this stuff. I think you will be suitably impressed. I know I was.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Thanks for the tip Mike. I'm pretty sure I've seen it in the shop, but usually I stick with the Uni 8/0. Do you know how many colors are available? Just one more thing to add to the collection.

Colors available? I bought black, white, brown, tan, olive, and red. I understand it also comes in gray, cinnamon, claret, green, orange, and primrose (kind of a light yellow color?).
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Hey Mike,

I use that stuff exclusively!! I like white but I think I do have all the colors too. It's not great for spinning hair as it tends to cut it but other than that I've tied even my striper flies with it..... Also, it splits well to and since I don't like dubbing loops it works great.

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Default 14/0 Thread????

Wow!!!! 14/0 thread for tying Striper flies Seems like a lot of extra effort involved there. My preference is from 3/0 to size A for Striper flies....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hey Darian,

It's not really much effort at all. Zap a gap helps out but the thread is pretty strong and I like it cuz it has no build. A few extra wraps is all it takes to hold hair and stuff in and then glue away!!

LOL
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com