Thread: Salmon Fishing Ban Considered

Default Salmon Fishing Ban Considered

SACRAMENTO — Federal regulators are considering an unprecedented ocean fishing ban on Chinook salmon along 700 miles of California and Oregon coast, threatening to spread distress from beleaguered commercial fleets to family dinner tables.

The Pacific Fishery Management Council meets next week in Seattle to recommend how the federal government should tackle a problem caused by plummeting commercial salmon stocks on the troubled Klamath River.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...-pe-california
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

Great Article, but in my oppinion I don't think they should ban salmon fishing for good in the 700 mile stretch from norcal into oregon. Why don't they just make it catch and release only or just do the restricted season thing and make it restricted every-other year or every 2 years?

Default Ban on Salmon Fishin'.....???

Somebody help me!!! I'm confused.... If I recall correctly, the fish kills in the Klamath occurred in the estuary and were due to warm water temps where instream flows were reduced due to diversions for farmers in Oregon....

How does a ban on fishing for Salmon in the ocean address that issue It seems to me that the Pacific Fishery Management Council should make recommendations to the Fed's to increase the volume of in-stream flows.

A lot of commercial and charter fisherman in both states who rely on Salmon fishing in the ocean may be devastated by this.... In the articles I've read in the SacBee/SFChron, river fishing would be uneffected.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown