Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: April Flyswap is CLOSED -

OK, I'm in. I'll pick a pattern later on though, not sure now what I'll do.

I have to admit though, I am a bit gun shy after the last swap (spending all that time and then messing up on the epoxy with no time left) Very frustrating!
    Gregg Machel
    Webmaster & Fly Fishing Enthusiast

Truth be told Gregg ..... you are a MUCH better tyer than you think you are .

I , having seen your flies , would fish one of them in a heartbeat .

No lies -

David

Hey, I wanted to get an idea what everyone was tying?? I tied my own creation last year similar to a wet pinky....

Marabou tail (white I think... chartreuse/green pearl cord braid body, lead eyes), hook up designed. I think that's it... LOL I can't even remember now if it had a collar or not.... I'll have to dig one out and look at it I guess when I get home. But it caught a fair share of fish last year (actually, caught all my shad on it last year). I just want to know as I might try something new if other people are doing something similar.

I'm trying a new hook as well, Mustad ck52s popper hook (black nickel plated ones too!!)..... it has a little v-shape crimp near the eye where you can place dumbell eyes so it rides hook up but they're perfectly in-line.... I usually use a partridge yk12st something but I'm running low and not many shops carry em.

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Count me in David.
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

SullyTM Guest

David, when would the flies be due? I'd like to join in but work may prevent me. Thanks. Thom

Quote Originally Posted by SullyTM
    David, when would the flies be due? I'd like to join in but work may prevent me. Thanks. Thom
    Thom .... they're just Shad flies !!

Not the 'super-real' cool ones you tye to scare me ..... just plain ol' Shad bugs ..... dozen a night , easy !!

Let's say , returned to me by the LAST WEEK of April , shall we ??

David

Default Shad Fly Swap....

OK guys,.... I'll join in with a chartreuse version of the bowstring.

This ought to be a pleasant break in tying saltwater flies for La Paz in june.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

SullyTM Guest

OKOKOKOKOKOK...I'm in

I'll tye a 'Plain 'ole Shad Fly'...

12 a night I hope not

Thanks for shaming me into the swap Thom

I'm in guys. This will be my first swap. I've been wanting to join one for a while. I'll be tying my version of the "wet pinky".

Clark

The Shad flies are starting to migrate from the tying bench. Most of you conventional Shad guys may look down your noses at these since they are not your typical shad pattern. I've been fishing these the last 2 years getting more fish than I really cared to. I use these as an emerging Caddis for 1/2 pounders but I can't seem to keep the Shad off of them. Give them a try this season and see if they work for you.

Most guys I see fishing for Shad are using a 6 or 7wt rod with some type of sinking or sinking tip line. I use these patterns on my trusty 5wt and a floating line with a 10' leader and a split shot or 2 depending on the run I'm fishing. I'm probably crazy but throwing sinking lines for a few hours doesn't do anything for my old shoulder.

Oh well I guess you can tell I'm a little bored. Getting together with Adam and Jason for a outing on the Feather tomorrow. Definately looking forward to that. Film at 11:00 \/

Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike