Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indicator steelheading

What is the difference between a center pin and a standard fly reel?

I dont have much knowledge on them. What I do know is theyre used with straight monofiliment attatched to a long drift rod and are popular for trolling and downrigging for salmon. They are a direct drive reel like a fly reel that puts the angler in more contact with the fish, Which I believe is the reason for their charm. Apparently guys are casting with them as well, much as you would a gear system. There are a few familiar manufacturers that build center pins. Loomis and okuma to name a couple. They are pretty neat looking reels for sure.

JAy

Centerpin reels, like the name suggests, suspend the spool on a pin in the center of the reel. This allows the spool to almost "free float" on the tip of the pin.... resulting in epic free-spool. Basically, it's a fly reel that operates like a baitcaster. Guys use them like a baitcaster to cast float rigs with mono. They wind up, cast, and palm the rim to avoid a backlash. The advantage is that you can get an awesome dead-drift with the freespool of the reel, allowing you to fish long drifts with a bobber rig. Once you hook a fish, you can click the reel into gear, which usually is only a click/pawl style drag, very similar to typical fly reels. They are also popular for mooching for the same free-spool reasons. Guys that like the classic approach to tackle still use centerpins for various applications, but these reels have largely been replaced by the modern baitcaster, which supports similar free-spool performance and much better drag systems. In my opinion, Islander Reels make the best current production center pin reels out there. (There Canadian, eh!)

SF
    fish on, biaatch!!

Word up Jbird! Tis' a Center Pin....! Am not familiar with them. They do make some nice looking reels huh?
    will