Thread: rigging knots

Default rigging knots

Seems like I should have crossed this bridge before, however, I am tripping over it..
    I cannot seem to get a good combo of strong enough knots to keep whatever one fish a week I can fool on.
    I recently changed my original set-up to a loop to loop to cinch and was happy with the results until the last couple of weeks. Whether the cinch has snapped at the fly or even the leader to tippet snapping, I feel like I can't hold anything.
    Anyone have any better ideas, I'm all ears.
    Thanks

I tried a loop-to-loop leader to tippet connection for a while and gave it up. I felt that this connection was significantly weaker than the blood knot leader to tippet connection I had been using. I went back to a blood knot and have never looked back except to talk about it. What finally convinced me to switch back was when I did some tests where I purposely broke the tippet off. What I noticed was that the connection always broke in the loops. Not the loop knots, mind you, but the loops themselves. I think the loops were cutting into each other, just like a wind knot would do. After that, I lost all confidence in 'em. I know a lot of folks like 'em for the convenience but, heck, it's even more convenient just to stay home.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default Something's definitely wrong.......

Try using a TRIPLE Surgeon's instead of a double for leader to tippet. Or don't use tippet at all, just use the end of a tapered leader. Or if that doesn't work......use heavier material!!!

P.S. Make sure you put a little spit on your knot before tightening down.

Bill Nash has a book of all the knots and has done quite a lot of testing of the different knots for strength. Follow the link

http://hometown.aol.com/billsknots/

I check my line and knots routinely. After landing a fish or snagging up I definatly check. When I get lazy and dont do that is when it seems I've lost them. Or... maybe a heavier line?
    Here fishy fishy....

Working on your leader system is just part of the learning curve.

If you take some classes from Jeff Putnam you will learn some of this.

If you come by the shop our staff will help you with this too.

You need good fresh mono and some knowledge of how to put it all together. Don't feel alone here. We all had to learn this too.

One of my first lessons was when I put on a big nymph the first time and drifted it in the lower Yuba River. I had been fishing mostly small flies on light tippet for trout so when I had a fish break that big stone fly off on the strike I had to change my system. I learned that I had to use larger tippet with larger flies.

Having the right leader system with the right knots and sharp hooks all ads up to making us better fly fishers.

Fly fishing is just a lot of little pieces of knowledge just like many other endeavors. I learn something every day.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

yup
    I too have been seeing the loop to loop tear itself, as opposed to knots breaking.
    Think I'm going to try blood to triple surgeon
    thanks

You can try tippet rings( http://www.climaxusa.com/materials.php ). Make sure you use a high stength knot like a trielene or modified orvis knot to connect yout leader and tippet.

Default Knots to you....

Hey Slage,.... I second Sculpin's suggestion. If you really want to get into knots, Bill Nash is an authority and has the written/DVD materials for purchase.

Bill Kiene's offer is also a good choice. Sometimes a little hands-on help is best.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown