Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A question for the more mature fly fishers...

Default A question for the more mature fly fishers...

When you turned 27, did you start to feel old?

26, was the first "real" step towards 30 for me, now I'm even closer, this is weird.

I don't fee like I should be approaching 30. 30 to me is the age when I think of most people are already married with maybe one-two kids. I'm not even close, nor do I want to be right now.

Craziness...

This is freakin me out man!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

im turning 25 in a few months.. and i am starting to feel old....

Adam and Fishyme....it has been 41 years since I turned 27 and and two years longer since I turned 25. I can't even remember back that far let alone if I was worried about getting old. My advice to both you young uns: Go fishing.
    "So it goes"

i'm learning this new art of fishing ----> fly fishing.. it sure isnt cheap, but so far its A BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!! can't wait to get a salmon on a fly rod..

Hmmmm .......

Old ?? What exactly IS old ??

Here's what you need to do -

Go fishing with Sturmer White . Sturmer is 76 or 78 years old , right ?? He will out-fish you on your favorite water (usually after you have already fished thru it ...) , he will out-wade you , he will fall down (you will crap your waders while he does this) and cut himself up .... then , he wipes the blood off and continues to out-do your 'best' efforts . Oh , yeah .... he will also out-bullshit you on top of these other things ....

Then - tell me about 'old' .

Adam , you are a very bright , reasonably good looking , charming fellow . Not tryin' to rag you ..... but there are other things to worry about in life .

Like you fishing more often

I've no doubt that you will be a better EVERYTHING at the age of 30 . Or 40 . Or 80 . We all believe in you ..... even though you are OLD and done-for

NOW - make the time to get your arse down here in the next few months .... so we can GET 'EM

David (semi-old) Lee :P

No, I started feeling old when I turned 23 and moved into a college dorm with a bunch of 18-19 year-olds. Now that I'm in my mid-40's, I feel kind of old when hanging around with my 20-30-something friends, and young when I'm with my buddies who are in their 60's and 70's.

I remember feeling old when I approached my 30's. I remember feeling that way again as I approached my 40's. I assume it will be the same for every decade milestone. Once you make the decade, the feeling passes until you start approaching the next one.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that there is no time like the present. If you are constantly waiting for the "right time" to go fishing, buy a rod, have a baby, etc., then you're spending too much time missing out.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Thanks guys.

Hair, I thinkit is these younger college kids that are making me feel older. Little Brats!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I turned 30 this year. I'm cool with age for every year I get older and hopfully wiser, older for sure. With age I hope to figure out more fish and be able to fish another day with my dad, kids and friends.

This last Christmas I saw age come full circle. Most of us as kids recieved a fishing pole from our Dads and we charished it. last year I went on a backpacking/fishing trip with my dad. We arrived at the lake and he pulled out this fishing pole that I think was made in the 50's. We fished, laughed, talked like adults just him and I. It was the best time and I remember thinking this is what "getting old" is about enjoying time with people you truly like, your family and friends. So on my rapid Christmas shopping adventure for him I was trying to figure out what to get him and it hit me. A FISHING POLE just like he had done for me 20+ years ago. I can do stuff like this small thing for him now and it means something to both of us. In my head this was a aged produced thought.

Until this year I was only concerned with how many times "I" get out fishing. Now I think "How many times can I get them out fishing". Time with people has become much more important.
    "Together we can conquer anything, but if only one of us trembles we may all face the end."

Walter

Read a survey lately in which out of thousands of americans polled the results were that one is only taken seriously in this country after the age of 27.
    For me it was 32-33. I'll be 35 this year. Some things about aging bother me & most don't. i don't like the fact that my body is slowly dying but i don't mind that i can start sentences with"Look bud, I'm 35 years old so...." and it actually means something to someone...

Don't worry so much about age Adam. As long as you keep fishing, you'll be fine. 27 was a tough year for me, because I broke my foot, took a long time to recover, and then tore a disc in my wrist, which required some nasty surgery and an even longer recovery. No fishing that year, as I recall. 30 was a good year (got married). A change in metabolism occurred at around 40, so I had to start eating less (or better) and exercising more regularly. Hit 50 this year but feel (and weigh ) about the same as I did at 25, except that I did have an overwhelming need to buy a fast car (with red interior! ). I'm not planning to feel old until around 90, and then I'll just start using a wading walker. Maybe Fishpond with make a cool-looking titanium walker by then.
    Don C.