Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting article in the latest Fish Sniffer magazine

Back in the '70s a group of us was wading at the mouth of the Feather River for Shad in the afternoon in April/May and then as the sun went down we switched to Stripers. Maybe 6 of us were spread out on the sandbar at the mouth throwing bucktail streamers in hopes of getting a Striper. It was a low water year so we could wade easily there.

After an hour or so a young man waded out with a spinning rod and a Rebel lure. He caught about 3 Stripers and then left with them all in about 30 minutes.

We all got skunked with flies that evening.

We all theorized about that evening for years. We figured that with plugs that vibrate you don't need to be very good.

We did have our nights there though back then.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Feeding by brail?

That's a really good point. I've had similar experiences with gear fishing at low light. It seems that the flies don't put out enough "vibe" to call up the fish when the conditions are turbid and the bass are feeding "by brail". Those big rattling lures probably are an easier target for stripers to locate under low light conditions. Flies probably work just as well when stripers are locating food primarily by sight and less by feel or smell.

SF
    fish on, biaatch!!

Default Vibrating Flies

Bill, maybe I'm giving up too much here but you should try Dennis Pierce's Wiggle Disc in front of that 3/0 the next time you go striper fishing in the dark.

I'm pickin' up good vibrations
    Those stripers give me excitations
    (Oom bop bop good vibrations)

TONY

Sing it Tony, sing it!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I never tried one, but here is a link to the site. http://www.wigglefin.com/rigging_trout.html
    Do they cast ok on a fly rig? HC

There are also "Magic Heads" available for tying flies with similar cups to place in front of your fly to create extra movement.

Kiene's stocks them.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default Survey says...

Well, a friend and I went into the Delta yesterday for a few hours. Granted, we were fishing a spot that has been producing pretty well for us lately. We fished artificial gear, no bait. We have concluded that it works.

If you sell your soul to the Devil and start fishing gear, make sure you use a big enough trebble to snatch it back!

SF
    fish on, biaatch!!

Andy Guibord says that most of the big stripers caught on flies in the past few years seem to be in mid-day?

But he does say we all get our early anyways.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I think a lot of it has to do with being in the right place at the right time. That means finding some fish when the conditions are right. I seem to always have an "adjustment period" when I get on the water where it takes a few hours before I get the feel for what is going on. Rarely have I started the boat, ran to the first spot, and immediately began hooking up. This has only happened a few times when the tide was ripping right as I got started. I also haven't fished enough to distinguish what water will hold big fish vs small fish. Unti I do, I just fish everything that looks good and take what I can get.

If the fish are scatterd, my experience suggests its all about linking habitat with occupants. You may have to knock on a lot of doors before someone answers. By then, its mid-day already!

SF
    fish on, biaatch!!

I think " depends on water & conditions" has merit. One year at Frank's Tract in good viz water I alternated for 30 minites rattle traps & clousers for 3 days. The rattle traps had a slight edge. day in day out with different conditions over a season I think the gear guys would spank you --but thats not effecting my paycheck.