Thread: If you had one spot......

Default If you had one spot......

Me and my buddy are hitin' up the A on the first saturday in march and we are currently debating on what spot we should fish. We dont have access to a car so we cant move to a new spot throughout the day so....

We were wondering if you had one choice, Watt, Goethe, Upper Sunrise, or the Hatchery, and you had to fish in the same spot throughout the whole day what would you choose?

-Mike

Default Access Points???

Hi Mike,..... Depending on flows, there are two access points that I would consider if were afoot on the American. There're riffles and deep pools available at either point.

The first would be starting at the Upper Sunrise area. Easy access and pick-up for your ride. There will be fish (Steelhead) in that area then. The river may be waded from some above and below Sunrise Blvd from that point. Also, you could cross the river below Sunrise Blvd at the foot bridge for some additional fishing/wading opportunities....

The second area would be in Goethe Park. This area offers a bunch of fishing/wading opportunities, as well. Access/retrieval is a little more complex, here, tho. There should still be some fish in this area in March. There is, also, a footbridge over to the side of the river to access the Arden Ponds. Again, depending on flows, this could be a productive area.

If you don't have a map of the river, get one. It'll be worth its weight in gold if you make notes on your findings.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I think that local drift boat guide Mike Bias likes to fish from the Nimbus Hatchery/Sailor Bar area downstream to Sunrise Bridge.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Mike, fished Goethe yesterday and am encouraged to report a couple of 1/2 pounders were caught by a bait guy on crawlers. There are some nice spots currently accessible at these flows (4,000 cfs) but nothing like it is when it gets under 2500 cfs. As Darian mentioned you can cross the river on the foot bridge and fish the back channels. Be careful! The channels look like nice little trout streams but I doubt you can cross any of them with the high flows. I think you are going to have limited access no matter where you fish. Probably more adult fish and fisherman up river, some solitude and occasional 1/2 pounders downstream. Please walk around spawning fish in the shallow channels, as they are trying to supply us with wild fish in the future. They would probably do a much better job if we all would just let them do their thing. Have fun
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

Still going this weekend but I think were just going to fish sunrise/ sailor bar. Any Reports/ Info on these sots would be great. This is my first time fishing these spots on the american so any info would be great......Thanks

Those side channels hold a few fish but unless you know where to cross I wouldn't even try it at these flows. Around 3500cfs is the max I'll attempt to cross em at the lowest spots I know of and even then it's 50/50 if you take a bad step.

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Let's not leave out Watt. Start above the last parking lot. Those fish love those clay banks. Joe Shirshac caught something big there a few years ago. Think it was the mid-1800's. Since they did not have scales in his early years he could not claim it as a record but I'm giving it to him.

Sorry Joe, sometimes I can't help my smart ass self. You come up to Oregon and I will hand you the two by four to whack me over the head with.

As soon as the rain stops for good and the river comes down we should have some great Spring Halfpounder Steelhead action in April/May.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........