Thread: Skagit cheater question...

Default Skagit cheater question...

I'm getting the rio windcutter 6/7/8 multi tip for my new spey rod. I'm also wanting to get a skagit style line. I then came across that you can convert your windcutter multi tip into a skagit line by changing the middle section of the windcutter into the skagit cheater.Do you guys have any experience w/ this? Am I better of with just purchasing a separate skagit line? Thank you!

Martin G

The problem with what you are suggesting is that if you have a WC that is the proper grain weight for your rod and you want to make a skagit line - shorter than the WC, by removing tip 2 and putting in a cheater - you have now reduced the grain weight for your rod so this will not work well.

In order to convert a WC to a skagit line you need to have one substantially heavier than the one designated for your rod so when you remove tip 2 and use it with a 15' sink tip or first add a cheater plus a tip you now have a skagit line with the necessary grains to cast on your rod.

Martin,
    I guess the first question would be: What rod are you using? The lightest Skagit line that Rio produces is 450 grs. This probably is too heavy if you are using a rod in the 6-7 range (12' 6")? I am using the Rio body (10/11/12) on my Sage 6126.
    T.

Thanks for the reply guys! I have the 6wt 13'1 Anderson (Jeff Putnam design)
    . According to Jeff, this rod is dialed in for the rio 450g skagit. So,are you guys saying that I just get a separate line for skagit? Thanks!

Martin

I think that a Skagit 450 is all you need.

You can use your WC 15' tips on it.

For Skagit casting you want the entire head including the tip to be 3 or 3.5 times your rod length.

13'1" x 3 = 39'3"

13'1" x 3.5 = 45'9.5"

Skagit 450 body = 27' + 15' tip = 42" = Perfecto

If your rod was 15' you would need a Skagit cheater section.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks Bill!!

Just to add some more info...
    I use a Skagit line on my 6126. It's great and gives a little punch to a lighter rod. I also have a windcutter I use on my 7136. I do not like the skagit on my bigger rod. It just requires you to speed up and I enjoy a nice slow cast. That skagit line will really cast itself, so it works better on a lighter rod for me.
    Hope it helps!

Martin,

I was at Marin with Gary and had a chance to cast with John Hazel the 1316 with the new airflo skagit. It gives a much smoother delivery, try it.
    I liked the 6/7 400grains, you might want to go 7/8 at 440. I prefer to cast this rod light off the tip. I am developing a Skagit/Scando, 2 head and running line for this rod (proto type for Jeff) if you would like to try it I will send you one. Call Me Steve 541-840-2594