Thread: Flow is ~4500 cfs right now.............

Default Flow is ~4500 cfs right now.............

That's getting even better for the Lower American River.

If we get down to 3000 cfs in March we will have some really good conditions for Wild Spring-run Steelhead (4-8#) and Spring-run Halfpounders (12" -20") eating caddis and small salmon.

All Valley Rivers will have Steelhead/trout action in March/April/May.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill..will those wild spring-run SH be NEW fish coming into the system? ie..available lower in the river such as Paradise, Golf Course hole and Watt Ave?
    "So it goes"

Anne, golf course hole? That place used to be one of the best kept secrets arounds. No longer, it seems everyone knows how to get out there now. Those spots in the lower river have been productive for me in the spring. Good luck.

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

Default Hey Jason.....

I've been hanging out in that area lately. You'd be suprised how the high flows have changed things around down there. I'm really looking forward to seeing it when (if) the flows drop down to "normal" levels.....say 2000 or so. Not sure if we'll see 2000cfs or below this year though.

Anyway......I really think its gonna be an awesome spring this year. I've been finding quite a few spring fish lately. All wild, complete chromers, and..........HOT! Even seen a few caddis fluttering around during the warmer days last week. Lots of risers and splashers in the flat water around dusk too. Once the water warms up a bit and the days get a little longer, it should really turn on.

Looking forward to that first "wet wade" of year!!! It's a little nippy out there currently................

Hi Anne,

We really start looking at the runs in that lower river below Watt Avenue down to lower Paradise Beach in August for the Fall run. Real early and late is best then with the heat.

In March/April/May we get small Halfpounders and then Wild Spring -run Steelhead (4-8#) that will be in that upper river above Goethe Park up to Sailor Bar. I think they come in the river in the winter and don't spawn till spring.

There are two biologists who are doing a study on these very special fish. You will see them between the hatchery and Sunrise checking for reds with a GPS.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........