Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yuba info?

Default Yuba info?

I'm relatively new to the area (freshman at UCD), and have fished the Yuba enough to have fallen in twice, get one strike, and three blisters, and to see that is gonna be a challenge to do well at. I am planning on heading out next weekend and was wondering what the website for the flows is, what they probably will do and any clue as to what might be in the river (bug-wise). Its all good, I'm just trying to figure this river out. Any help would be much appreciated. If anyone wants to go, let me know.
    -Nick

California Dept. of Water Resources....Current River Flows. You can find all the major rivers on this site. I believe that there is also a link at the top of Bill's banner page (links).
    Terry

Yuba i in bad shape still from all the rain in Dec. I am heading out there tomorrow to take another look. 4000 is still a littl too fast for most of the river

Bugs...well there aren't many since the run off. Just keep your eyes open and fingers crossed.

Here's the link for the Yuba flows:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/river/yubaStages.html

Look for Skwalla stonflies, they look like this:

Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Thanks a bunch for the info. Seems like everywhere is still flooded due to the floods, its getting a little frustrating. . Good luck out there. Let us know how it goes.
    -Nick

Keith Kaneko guided on the Lower Yuba River today below Hwy 20 with his drift boat.

He said it was difficult to fish in the high water but they did well on wild trout. No Steelhead today.

Keith said the river is all different now because of the high waters.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I was out yesturday as well and saw Keith out there with a couple of guys. It was tough fishing! The clarity is better, but the fish are stil in the deeps or just still in shock. They also have improved the potential for a take out at Sycamore. Mike Bias was there and was able to pull out there, but just getting to where the "kinda" pull out is would be very hard for even an experienced row boy. (Call guides row boy, they love that)

Keith said he was having luck yesterday with a big #6 black rubber legs stone fly nymph and a black #14 AP nymph.

I guess they can see that stuff better in the off colored water?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Then there is a little bit of hope. That is good. Though if Jeff is catching them, it could mean anything, he could probably catch fish from a mud puddle. One thing, is the yuba wade-able, because I don't have a boat. Also, the skwala stones, where are they on the river, have the started in to shore yet? Any guesses on which access is the best bet?
    -Nick

Not many staones that day. If your wading be careful!!!! There are places that look safe and then they drop off...BAD! i got out of the boat in one area where I was in about 2 feet of water. The next stepp with at about 5 feet!

We fished drys all day in hopes of getting them to eat a big bug. The fish just weren't digging it.