Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leaders to T-14

Default leaders to T-14

I have had a problem with leader material staying connected to T 14. A nail knot does not stay. Will slip right off. I have tried an Albright knot but have problems with the leader material sliding on the T 14, comes out looking like my dog tyied it. I have gone to a loop in the T 14 itself but am not happy with that . Curious as to what experience others have had. Thanks.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

I use an albright to make a leader butt on T-14 tips all the time with no issues. Landed hot chinook on them. What exactly is going wrong when you tie the albright?

I guess you could just add a braided mono loop to the terminal end of the T-14 just like you would on the reel end and then loop-to-loop on your leader butt.

http://www.danblanton.com/gettinglooped.html

I have had the same experience with the T14. The problem with the albright is the bulk makes it difficult going through the guides. I tried to use the braided mono and I whip finish at the ends and it eventually separates and pulls the cover of the T14 off leaving exposed mono and a really bad hing in the line. I would be interested to hear any other ideas.

I suggest you pose this question on Blantons board (I hope its OK to direct someone to another board Bill, If not please forgive me) There is a lot of T-14ers on his board.

Jbird

Default Connections.....

In addition to posting on Blanton's BB, there is an article on his website under the technical or equipment link called, "Getting Looped". This article discusses several methods to create connections in differing lines, etc....

Hopefully, you could get a response to your post from Bill Nash with some advice....

I used the braided loop attachment, initally. Haven't had enough time to say whther it's good or bad....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

The problem with the albright is the bulk makes it difficult going through the guides.
    I've never used a long enough leader/tippet on a T-14 head/tip to have that problem. That would generally defeat the purpose for the T-14 in most of my fishing. The only time the knot goes through the guides is when I'm taking the line in to the reel to quit for the day. You're not using the albright on the back end (head to running line connection) are you?

In addition to posting on Blanton's BB, there is an article on his website under the technical or equipment link called, "Getting Looped". This article discusses several methods to create connections in differing lines, etc....
    Yep. That's a great article, Darian. That's why I linked it in my first post.

Default Albright Knots

I think Bub is right on if you use an Albright at the butt section of the head. You shouldn't be bringing the leader into the guides or the tip except when you quit fishing.

I use an Albright on all of my lines that I attach a butt section too and find it is one of the strongest and easiest knots to tie.

Another thought may be that you're using too long of a leader with the T-14. Fishing deep usually means shortening the leader so that the fly will drop along with the head. Using a long leader with a sinking head is counter productive as the fly will still be higher in the water column than the line.

Learn to tie a good Albright and you'll use it a lot.
    TONY

Default Braided Loop

If you do use a braided loop make sure you put 2 four turn nail knots over the braided part that is over your line. I use one at the end and one in the middle. Coat then with Knotsense or Aqualseal. Anglernut lost a furled leader when the braided loop slipped off (he didn't nasil knot it).

Jeff C.

I was refering to the connection between running line and T14. When using the braided loop and nail not method, the cover of the T14 will slide right off of the mono core. What I have tried to do is slide enough of the cover off exposing 2 -3 inches of mono on both running line and T14 and blood knotting them together. After that I apply several coats of Aquaseal to blend in running line with T14 so it doesn't hing and makes a smooth transition. The proplem overall that I have found with T14 is the stretch in the mono core vs. the cover make it difficult to work with because if you put any type of pressure on it, it will seperate.

Default Connections????

Hey Bubzilla,.... Am I non-observant or what Didn't even dawn on me that your link was to Blanton's article.... Time for some medicine (Irish of course)....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown