Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head-on-Humpy (HOH)

Default Head-on-Humpy (HOH)

Check out this fly that I came across browsing my other board, a head on head humpy. Pretty slick looking
    http://www.rockymtnfly.com/index.php...&showtopic=438
    It would probably do well on most of the Eastern Sierra streams n rivers, especially the stocked ones.
    Not that I'm fishing them anymore
    "Fishing with bait is like paying for sex" unknown saltwater flyfisher

SullyTM Guest

Brain...Interesting looking fly. I may have to tie up a few. thanks for posting. SullyTM

I agree, looks pretty interesting. Is it supposed to imitate anything specific, because it looks like a good hopper imitation to me, especially if you took away the elk/deer hair up front. But that's just me.
    "If you don't where you're going, any road will take you there."

SullyTM Guest

This fly brings to mind something I've never tried and that's a 2-fly rig using a fly like this as an indicator and your second fly is a nymph pattern. Can someone direct me as to a good 2-fly rig set-up...I don't particularly like the blood-know set-up. What is the proper way tie tie on a length of tippet to the first fly, if that's the way you do it? Thanks for the help. Thom

Default Multiple Fly Casts....

Hi Thom,.... If you take or have access to California Fly Fisher magazine, the December 2005 issue has an article titled, A Cast of Flies on page 38.

It discusses several differing set-ups for using multiple fly casts; including a dry fly with a trailing nymph set-up.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

SullyTM Guest

Thanks Darian. My local fly shop carries it. I'm on it. I've never used an indicator of any sort...don't know why. Call me old fashioned I guess. But, it's worth a try. Later. Thom

Hey Thom, I rarely use 2 fly setups anymore with dries, but this is the one I would use if I did. I like to use the KISS method. Call me a simpleton

PS: No I don't use lime green line on my tippets! Is this what you were looking for?

Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

SullyTM Guest

Something like that, simpleton, er' Mike For me, the simpler the better Lately, I've been coming across alot of articles etc. talking about a 2-rig set-up. Don't know how much use I'd have for it since my one fly set-ups are so successful What's up on the Yuba? Thom

The "Y" is not looking good from the reports I've been reading. Still high and off color. I like fishing it when the flows get below 2,000 CFS, but I hear it is very fishable around 3,000 if the water clarity is good. Under 1,000 is the best for me. I need a dry fly fix, I'm starting to get the shakes Oh yea I'm getting old so I should expect those.

Now they have raised the American flow up again, when will it ever end
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

Hey Sully,
    One rig I use as a dry dropper rig in the eastern sierras is a larger size 14-16 humpy but tied with a loop of mono out of the back of the hook shank. Tie that first and coast with epoxy, then with the rest of the pattern on top and allows for easy attach of another fly to the rear for a dropper. I use that rig alot when fishing either a weighted dropper or really really small bugs. My eyesight is good but I can't see a 24 emerger at distance. At least this way, you know the rise anywhere within a 12" radius of the indicator bug is most likely on your emerger.
    Actually in Alaska, there were sections where you could not fish two hook rigs, but the fish were spooky. Using a hopper or other pattern with the hook cut off for the indicator produced more than the standard yarn indicator rig. Could have been coincidence as we really didn't have much time to make a science experiment out of it, but was just an observation.
    Part of the fun is the experimentation for sure.
    -Paul