Thread: Help - Fishing Partner for Feb 13

Default Help - Fishing Partner for Feb 13

I have finally carved out an open day to fish this winter - Mon Feb 13. I am a decent trout fisherman, but newbie for steelhead and the American. Would really love to find someone who would be willing/interested in fishing together on that day. Folks on this board sound so helpful, was hoping someone would like to join me and share some local knowledge.

Can't really afford a guide on my own, but would consider splitting a guide for the day.

bp
    Wishin' I was a Fishin'

Default American River Info....

Hey bp,..... Can't make it, myself, on that date but maybe a suggestion or two for your future use:

Get hold of a map of the river. (Sac county puts out a fairly decent, compact map of the bike trail that parallels the river and you can make annotations on it. Cost; around $3.00 - $4.00. You can buy this map at bike shops and REI, as well.)

Your idea about splitting the cost of a guide is a good one. (the perspective provided by a drift boat trip is invaluable.)

Barring any warm storms between now and then, you should have a good trip.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian

thanks for the advice. any particular area of this map i should be more interested in than others?

Brent
    Wishin' I was a Fishin'

Default American River....

Brent,.... The answer to your question about where to concentrate your efforts depends on water conditions and the time of the year, among others. When the water is high (as it is now) and Steelhead are running, try the upper access points (e.g. Upper Sunrise, that hatchery area, etc.) and when the water level is lower progress downstream. The presence of other fisherman is often in indicator of where to fish for Steelhead....

This type of fishing is not for the faint of heart. It's frequently called combat fishing due the premium on space and sometimes some people with bad attitudes.... The rewards (Steelhead and other good guys you'll meet) make it worth while.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

bp,

If you can get local American River drift boat guide Mike Bias, Keith Kaneko or Bill Lowe to guide you for the day it will probably be productive. That is a good time of year on the Lower American River for winter Steelhead as long as we don't get a ton of rain before you go.

Call them and see if they already have a single angler to share a day.

If you find someone here to go with you and split a guide day I will give you both a dozen good flies for luck.

Adam and I went out a few years ago in Jan or Feb with guide Mike Bias and we hooked a ton of Steelhead. We joked about it later because when we go by ourselves just wading we usually don't get those same results.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hey bp,

If you haven't gone yet, I would be interested in splitting a guide with you. I have free time till 2/29 so anytime during the week is good for me.

Bill

Default Re: American River....

Quote Originally Posted by Darian
    This type of fishing is not for the faint of heart. It's frequently called combat fishing due the premium on space and sometimes some people with bad attitudes.... The rewards (Steelhead and other good guys you'll meet) make it worth while.
    Let me clarify this for you. You might get away from all the other fisherman and honeyspots to get a place to call your own, and have a bait fisherman come up behind you, cast out and get tangled in your line. Out in my parts (the feather), the person might look like a biker on meth (and their are a lot of meth heads in oroville!)