Thread: North Oregon coast report

Default North Oregon coast report

After three, count em', three straight days with no rain, most rivers are fishable. A bit of a bummer since I was rooting for the forty day forty night ordeal. We were shy by six days so once again the Oregon coast does not make the Bible. We need more sinners. I'm thinkin' three more Kaly-EEE-Four-naw transplants will do the trick. Anyone but Arnold.
    The fish are there, the sun is out, so I'm leaving the old stinky dog to fend for himself. Damn hound smells like a big skunk which rolls in dead salmon and never brushes it's teeth. Don't care if I hook a fish...I just need some fresh air!!!

hola,

how goes it man? been watching you're goofy posts for a bit now and did gather that you were living somewhere near seaside, but figured you were closer to the nehalem. anyway, i just realized that you are living on or near the necanicum. i grew up in seaside fishing the necanicum and L & C for steelhead. living (temporarily) in sacramento now (ahhh!), but will be moving back that way in a year or two. how is the necanicum these days? a lot of people that i talk to say that there are not that much for steelhead runs these days, but most of these guys are meat & potatoes fisherman and since they can't keep the natives, they don't go after them so much. if and when you have the time, i'd love to hear what you think of the fisheries around the area these days. also, do you have any thoughts, (judging from your previous posts, i'm sure you do) on flyfishing for steelhead and salmon on these small coastal rivers compares with gear. i left the area over 15 years ago and back then, hardly anyone fished for salmon and steelhead with a fly. do you guys still pretty much swing for them, or are indicator tactics just as or more effective? and... with indicator tactics, what kind of flies are being used??

thanks for all your posts. really cool to hear about all the places i used to wander.

Justin Bailie

I fished the Necanicum River in Seaside about 25 years ago in the tide water in my 8' pram for Silver Salmon.

Did not have any luck on salmon but did catch a lot of Dungeness crabs that were crawling around on the bottom. Got them with a nice big Gold Comet, snagged 'em. Boy they were good.

Never been back but it is a lovely town.

There was a really good seafood restaurant there that was always crowded.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Scott O'Donnell lives in Seaside and guides the coastal rivers in the spring. Bruce Slightom and I have been going up the last two years to fish with Scott and plan to make this an annual event! While we have not hit it great yet, the potential is sure there - alot of really great streams in the area varying in size so you have plenty of options depending on weather.

Here is Scott's web address:

http://www.scottodonnell.com/

Scott O'Donnell works with Mike McCune guiding in AK, WA and OR. You learn to Spey cast while they are guiding you.

You can see two these guys along with Ed Ward and others in action on the new Rio Spey casting video that will be available very soon.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Justin,
    Those rivers you used to fish are still here, and the fish still find them attractive. The Necanicum clears faster than when I moved here in 92. Since it is the fastest clearing stream on the coast, and close to Portland, and we have had some real rain, on fishable days a lot of people. The Nehalem should be in shape and its jeweled cousin, the Salmonberry, must be perfect today and in the coming days. No rain in the forecast.

'Git your ass back north and never look south. Hell I even scrubbed off the "S" on my compass. No wonder I get lost hunting chantrelles. But as I look out of the window to the north elk are grazing in the field. Still working on what fly they will take. Thinkin' green with not too much flash.

This is the time for steelies around here; less pressure because of the wild fish and the best...the wild fish. Plus the rain becomes less likely. Keep in touch and we will get you out of that hellish spot. Being a Liberal, I can't stand to see a person have to suffer like that. NORTH!!!!!!

I remember we were fishing those little coastal rivers in Oregon in September 'way back when' and along the banks where 3 different kinds of berries that were ripe.

We ate our way along those streams looking for Searun Cutthroat, Salmon and Steelhead.

Between the seafood, berries and mushrooms it sounds pretty tasty up there.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

hey, thanks for the replies fellas. yeah, the pacific nw is pretty amazing. i spent some of august and september there last year. it's so cool to have access to so many resources. fish, shellfish, berries, mushrooms and you usually don't have to look to far to find someone who likes to go out and shoot things that are so good to eat as well.

ahh, the salmonberry. such a beautiful river. it really is a gem. hey, have you ever fished Rock Creek that flows into the nehalem? any good?

hope y'all have a great day!!

justin