Thread: Yet Another American Report

Default Yet Another American Report

I hit the Upper Sunrise area on Friday from about 11-3 with my girlfriend who has only been fly fishing 3 times so far. This was my third quest in trying to get an adult. I had gotten skunked my two previous outings but I managed to get my first American adult steelies on this outing. I hooked one right off the bat and had it on for about 30 seconds before my knot broke (make sure to check your knots good!). It was your average fish ~5lbs.

I stayed in the same spot for the next couple of hours because I could see fish rolling and I knew if I moved someone would jump on my spot. About 30 mins later I hooked another fish. This one proceeded to run straight downstream as I realize that my drag wasn't set correctly (Another note: make sure your drag is set beforehand). Luckily, this fish stayed on and I chased it downstream. After a few minutes I got this little wild buck to hand:

This fish was so nice, this picture does not do the fish justice. Its stripe was very prominent and it was a very healthy fish. It was about 22" and took a big rubberleg stone. It was also my first adult on the American landed.

Another hour passed and I hooked another fish in the same spot. It was about the same size only a hen. I didn't get a picture of this one but it took the same fly. After this fish, I tried to get my girlfriend her first steelie, so I helped her with her casting and she finally hooked in to one. She didn't know what was happening and before she knew it, the fish was off. She wasn't that upset but I was glad she hooked her first steelhead. Hopefully next time she'll land it.

Sorry for the rambling, tight lines.
    Chris Laskodi

Default Steelhead!!!!

Hey Chris,.... Sounds like a great trip. The water clarity is beginning to look fairly good. Nice fish, too.

Helping your friend was a very good thing to do for her....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Great photo Chris...looks like a wild Steelhead.

Congratulations..............
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Congrats on the great trip! !

Katz
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

Default Nice Hat!!!

What fish? What caught my eye was the hat. From one Aggie to another, Go AGGS!! ('85)
    Wishin' I was a Fishin'

Great looking fish..!!
    Ray Rivera

Default Great fish

Hey Chris,

I was the guy fishing next to you when you caught your fish (I held your girlfriend's rod as she took the picutre). It was a beautiful fish (I assumed you knew it was a wild one). Thanks again for the fly. I didn't manage to catch anything on it, but will try it again next time I am there.

You may be new to this, but you're the only angler I saw catching fish that day. Well done.

Hope to bump into you again up there.
    Sean