Thread: American

Default American

I am fairly new to fishing the american. Have fished a couple of times but haven't caught anything due to the fact I don't know where and how to fish it. I know the spots like hoffman, watt, sunrise etc. and have fished those spots I just haven't gone there with someone experienced and knows what to do and where to fish. I can't afford a guide because I'm still only 16 so i was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on where to fish at. I'm probably goin to head up there this weekend so any advice would be great. Thanks

- Mike

The water level is still a bit high. If I were you, I would checkout Putah Creek. It's closer to you & you might have more success. I would give the America a few more weeks for it's level to drop.

SullyTM Guest

...check the flows for Putah. The creek has been running high, making for some difficult fishing, especially if you want to wade. If the flows are above 1,000 cfs it won't be much fun. You might want to try a lake or reservoir. Just my 3 cents! Thom

Default Putah Creek

I have to agree with Thom. I went out to Putah on Monday and the flows were around 1400 and still are today. There was only one man and his son and nephew on the entire creek, and the nephew took a swim which could have been very dangerous.

I fished at the bridge area and access 5 for a couple of hours with no action. Wading is very challenging on Putah even at lower flows, so it might be best to wait for the flows to drop, especially if it isn't water you normally fish.

Phil

Default American R.....

Hey Mike,.... If you read some of the other topics under this thread, you'll see a few topics by MSP and others who've been fishing the American, successfully, during the high water. They've been able to take a few good fish by working the slower water and edges of the flows. Not much wading involved.

The area around the Hatchery (on that side of the river), Sailor Bar and Upper Sunrise might be places to try....

Be safe and good luck....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by SullyTM
    ...check the flows for Putah. The creek has been running high, making for some difficult fishing, especially if you want to wade.
    Thanx for the info. I was hoping that the Putah went down, cause it's suppose to be a low flow in the winter there. Well, I think I will hold off for a few more weeks. Might check out a lake or two in the meantime.

Mike most of the numbers of steelhead concentrate in the upper section of the American at this time of year; Sunrise Blvd access and Sailor Bar. Unfortunately so do the majority of the fishermen, it can get crowded and combative. I like the Goethe park area; lots of nice water. Call Kiene's for info about the orchard access of Goethe Park at 916/486-9958.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I have fished Goethe park before on that little side channel that breaks off from the main part of the river and got skunked. I have also fished watt ave. on the right side of that island and got skunked. I have also heard of sunrise and sailor bar but haven't fished it before. Also for those talking about putah, i fished it on thursday after school around 1:30, 2 with my buddy. flows were around 1,200 cfs but i still managed to hook up with one around 17". Unfortunatly my buddy was chasing after his indicator that snaped off as the fish was ready to come in. As he was coming back the fish took off one last time and snaped off. Only fish the whole day but it was good to get out after a ehole day of finals.

-Mike