Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Gary Anderson Spey rods designed by Jeff Putnam.

Hi Martin and Anne

Gary's first 2 rods for Putman's Extreme Disatance Series, the 1316 and 1518, are a huge success according to anyone who has cast them. Well the spey world has seen nothing yet, because the final proto for the middle spey arrived yesterday morning, a 13'9" 7weight, 4 pieces. I cast it with taped on guides last nite and a make shift grip and it is unreal !!!
    This rod will make it's public debut next Sunday, March 12, at the Anderson mini Spey clave at Touvelle Park with Jeff Putnam. Three are being built and Jeff will get to bring one back with him. Gary should probably be in custom production in 6 weeks, till then see Jeff or me for a demo. I would feel comfortable with winter steel on the Umqua with this rod and any river in Washington and a lot of rivers in BC.

Steve 541-840-2594

Steve, what lines do you reccommend for the 1316 and the new 7 weight. I am probably going to pick up the 1316 and have heard the new xlt 7 was good on it but what line would you choose for throwing tips. Thanks.

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

Hi Jason,

Before you choose your sinking line you need to choose your sinking style. I have a simple illustration that we can go thru over the phone with you having a pencil, lined school paper and a ruler. If you can call me I can have you illustrate to yourself where you might want to go in line choices.

In a std tipped spey line, Gary and Jeff would probably like the Rio WC 6/7/8, but I like the WC 5/6. In our phone call if you can tell me rods and line combinations that you currently enjoy I can calculate your personal casting acceleration and from that you can determine every rod & line match for you, forever. It is amazing and will eventually end up on Jeff's web site, but you and I can do it now.

In a scandinavian style sinker, me 325 Grains, Jeff/Gary 400 Grains.

In a Skagit everybody 450 grains ( this might seem funny that I do not want a lighter style but the purpose of a Skagit is different. I recently custom built two heads for Martin for the 1316 and he just got them, a floating sscandonavian and a Skagit. You 2 and Jeff should get togther and try it out. I will give you the same deal as Martin if you like it

Steve 541-840-2594

Default 1316 and big flies

I am wondering if this rod will be able to turn over heavly weighted flies like lead eye leeches and stuff with the recomended 450 Skagit? It has been my experence that rods that cast the 450 skagit well do not turn over these heavy flies. After reading the posts it sounds like this rod my have more power.
    thanks for your info
    mike

Depends on what you mean by heavily weighted and how big. I am able to turn over a size 2 cone head fly with Anderson's 1204 and the WC body 10/11/12 used as a skagit line with a 15' tip so expect the 1316 should do ok as long as the fly is a reasonable size

Mike,

There are 2 elements you are dealing with swinging wet. The first is how deep the fly is at the end of the swing and the rods ability to lift it out. This requires power but a longer rod will add to the ease of digging it out. All of Jeff's new rods are long for there power and they all lift well. It is not the 450 skagit that delivers your big heavy leech, it is the leader and the head. Sounds like you need t-14 and if you do the 450 Skagit is the minimum belly that is needed to turn over the t-14. The 550 is better.The rods job is to turn over the belly and for the flies that you are talking about I would choose Jeff's new 1397 and a 550 Skagit with t-14.

Call if like, I find these boards move too slow. Steve 541-840-2594

SPG,

That is exactly what I have found. I have both t-14 and commerical heads and with the skagit 450 I have had inconsistant turn over. then I moved up to the 550 and got much better results. I am not in the market for a 14' rod however so I will have to do some thinking about where I want to go. It sounds like the 1316 would be a excellent dry line rod with some tips casting on the side.
    Thanks
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by SPG
    Hi Martin and Anne

Well the spey world has seen nothing yet, because the final proto for the middle spey arrived yesterday morning, a 13'9" 7weight, 4 pieces. I cast it with taped on guides last nite and a make shift grip and it is unreal !!!
    This rod will make it's public debut next Sunday, March 12, at the Anderson mini Spey clave at Touvelle Park with Jeff Putnam.

Steve 541-840-2594
    I was the 'first' to get my hands on this rod at the mini-'Clave and walked back to Gary a few minutes later and asked: "What did this just cost me?" One of the finest 2-handers I've ever used; finalized the details on my new toy with Gary yesterday afternoon.
    fae

Fred
    It was nice to see you at lunch today and nice to see you here. As you said there are several of us S. Oregon boys here. Maybe you can wake up the spey section of this board.

Mark

I have heard nothing but amazing things about the new 13'9" 7 weight. I cant wait to give it a try. Unfortunately the waters even too high down here to go work on my spey casting.

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com