Thread: Feather River Report

Default Feather River Report

I fished the Feather River yesterday for about 4 hours in the morning. The river is muddy with about one foot visiblility or less in the moving water, the slower back waters had better clearity. The trees and brush show just how high the water flowed at 13,000 cfs. I took some pictures to show you guys what it looks like right now.

Low flow behind the Chinese temple. Check out the foiliage on the island, bare and forced backwards.

These trees are just above Shithouse riffle. Look how high the water reached, also check out how the water lifted the roots.

This picture was taken in the slower water to show just how much color there is in the water.

I only caught one fish yesterday, sadly not a steelhead but still a bend in my rod.

This sucker took an alevin pattern in the slower water just outside a seam.

If you are going to the Feather definately try a san juan worm and maybe even an alevin pattern. If the suckers are feeding on them the steelhead may be feeding on them as well. I have heard of multiple steelhead being caught on san juan worms. I tried my own rubber leg material version but it didn't work for me. I never tie worms and I didn't own the ultra chennile needed for a proper san juan. Vernille is bulkier and probably easier to see in the muddy water.

Now you guy know what to expect on the Feather. Good Luck.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default Suckers.....

Not being disrespectful, just an observation about the catch... Kinda looks like a golden torpedo..... Too bad they don't jump and fight better. Actually, suckers have some great coloration (quite photogenic).
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown