Thread: Lines for American River Steelhead

Default Lines for American River Steelhead

I have deceided I am tired of using an indicator to fish for Steelhead and would like to start swinging flies for them instead. What lines would be appropriate for the American river. I could also use some help on some fly patterns. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What size rod are you using? Rio has a new set of lines out:the Anadromous Advantage. It has a floating body with four interchangeable 24 ft. tips plus a Clauser taper floating tip. (a 7ft. fast sink with 17 ft. of floating line, a 15 ft. fast sink with 9 ft. of floating line, and a 24 ft. density compensated sink tip). These come in line sizes of 6-10. I just bought one and am looking forword to using it...when we get out of flood stage. Did go down and look at the American today: flowing @33,000 cfs. There were 8 bait guys fishing below the hatchery. Saw one snag a salmon in the back. Left after he fought it for ten minutes. Hope that he released it like a good little boy. Actually, the fish was not very dark.
    Terry

Default Deep Water Line/Rig....???

How about this Stuff a 30' length of garden hose with an equal length of chain.... Tie it off to a running line of nylon climbing rope and use a 6' length of cable clothesline for the leader....

Of course a fly for this rig would be a problem. Guess you could use a whole Wood Duck threaded to a long shank gaff hook....

Double hauling this outfit might present problems. Maybe attach it to a winch for a reel; then stand on a ladder near shore and pay the line out with the current....

What It could happen....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown