Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Punta Colorada /East Cape report - December 8th to 15th

Thats awesome David!!

What a great report! What kind of bait schools were around? were there sardinas? Did you ever get a chance to venture out in a panga?

I agree with the ladyfish, they are really fun. And youre right, landing 1 out of every 7 is actually a good ratio! Its weird how something so skinning and unassuming can pull that hard.

I know what you mean by the razors in front of the tail on the toro. Sculpin caught about a 20#'r and I reached in and tailed it in the surf and I though it fillet'd my hand. I guess I have 18 years of construction to thank for my palms being like boot leather cause it didnt cut. I WILL wear a glove next time.

Glad youre back safe and hopefully without too many equiupment mishaps.

Jay

Default Baja.... Ahhhh..........

Hey David,..... Some fun, hmmm That surf must've been tough. I don't recall anything other than gentle surf the whole time I was down there.

OK,.... Let's get down to it. Didja see any nativa bonita flora/fuana down there

Also, did Senora Candida do any fishing If so, did she outfish you
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Mike -
    The Tetons did the job , period . I have no doubts the Tiogas will fish the same . You know how much I fish and the different things I've caught .... the ladys were the apex of flyrod fishes I've tangled with .

Adam -

Thanks !! Photos will be up later tonight .

JB -

Small (2 1/2 inch max) Sardina were scattered around , no great masses though . Flying fish were seen by us in close . The water was really rough , even the Mexicans said it was NEVER that bad , so I stayed out of the boats .... also , not a single gear problem for me . Speaking of bait ..... at the lighthouse (El Faro de Punta Arena) , I saw what I took for a group of jacks on the surface feeding - turns out to be a Rooster over 40 inches in pursuit of a very unlucky Sierra of 20 inches !! It looked like the inside of a washing machine running full tilt . We didn't see the Rooster catch it , but it probably happened ....

Darian -

The airport was ROTTEN w/ Bonita Nativas . Good thing I'm married

Photos tonight !!!!!!

David

David, David, David,

Sloooooow down, inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale. Now that you have control of your body, Relax.

Hey, I've been going to baja since the early '60's and every trip is just as exciting as the very first trip. Especially this past May when I landed the "Grande" rooster. I have ventured to the East Cape and experienced the grab. We have fished out of Punta Colorada in October and found the same results, especially from the beach. Huge schools of Lady's daisy chaining out in front of you. CAST, CAST CAST----- Fish on. Usually mixed in with them are the jacks and sierra's. Rooster's swimming up to your feet, what a trip.
    If you want more excitment that could stop your heart, you ought to try the Cerralvo Island area in May and June. Pulling on a skip jack that's around 15lb to 18lbs is alot like worked. Or better yet - seeing 50 or more BIG roosters swimming around the panga.

Ahhhh, what the taste of Baja can do to the soul

Jay

Can't wait for the photo's

Candida's Yellowfin Croaker !!

Peter Langstraat in action

Rooster jr. !!!!

Sierra !!!

One happy dude w/ a fine Ladyfish

Pompano !!!!!!!

David
    Last edited by David Lee; 08-14-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Hey David,
    Sounds like a heck of a trip. I think I had that same look on my face with my first ladyfish, but my wife was sleeping and no camera. lol.
    Those things absolutely go balistic. Were they actively feeding when you were targetting them? Most of the ones I landed were in groups grubbing early in the morning @ greylight. Nice job on the rooster btw.
    Glad you had a great time out there man. Definitely a cool place. I hope to make it out again sometime this summer. What a great fishery it is and its so close.
    -Paul

David it looks like you caught most all of the winter inshore species. It also looks like maybe it wasn't only the fish that were hooked on your Baja trip. When the fever sets in get a hold of me. We have been staying in the in the area for quite a few years and can give you some info for future trips.

Mark

David & All,

I just did a Power Point baja presentation at the Fisherman's Spot in Van Nuys. This was my first attempt and everyone really liked it, the only comment I received was I needed more slides of all the species I've caught. I told them the that would make a 4 hour show.
    Presently, I'm working on our program for the Sacramento and San Mateo ISE show. It will be power point presentation. We need everyone to attend this presentation since it will be our first time and we want ALOT of comments - good or bad.

After thinking about it, while viewing my Baja presentation, I was thinking a sound track would be nice. My opening song will be Herb Albert and the Tiajuana Brass "The Lonely Bull". Just have to figure out the procedure and the copy right laws

Jay

Default Baja Adventure

David

Great photos and report.

Glad to hear that your trip worked out in spite of the dreaded North Wind.

Maybe I will see you at the San Mateo ISE next month. I will be doing programs on Friday, Saturday and Sunday in the California Theater. The schedule is on their site.
    When you are young, you believe that you are blazing a new trail. Older, you realize that it was a beaten track.

Just a few more photos .....

Green Jack - the little terrorist

Fun-sized Jack Crevallie

Yet another Jack - on a 7 wt. , these things will wreck you !!

Just about as calm as it got !!

Candida and I on the morning of departure .... notice the happy smiles .

The way I want to remember it !!

THE END

David