Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith River

Default Smith River

Went to the Smith on Tues. and Wed. The salmon were hitting in the mornings when you could find fish, caught one small one about 5 lbs. the Steelhead are starting to show up here and there, managed to hook four, and land two. Can't wait till Jan. when the big runs start!

What flies were working on the Smith?

jerseyboy

Thanks for the report Heath.

Where you wading or in a boat?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

As far as flies I was using a Green butt skunk and an Averysbugger, a version of the woolybugger. I was fishing from shore as I always do. I can cover water more thouroughly than in a drift boat.

flyfisherman.com has a really good Smith river report. Click on the "southwest" section, and it should pop up. Pretty detailed, with some nice pics.

The Smith is on my list of places to fish during January this year. I hear it is good spey water and am looking forward to giving it a try this winter.

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

Default Spey water

Jason, if you find a lot of spey water, please let me know where it is. The lower 6 or 8 miles is suitable, but I found the access difficult except in the park. I have not fished the south fork, but my recollection is that the main branch is largely pocket water which requires fast sinking lines in deep holes.

Default Lower Smith River....

I have to agree.... The river below the forks is a series of very deep pools with a few deep runs. Given the number of bankies and drift boats up there, it wouldn't seem that there's much of an opportunity to Spey Cast.....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I have heard from a few others that there is some good spey water on the south fork. While the access is difficult and limited i am sure i can find something worth giving a try. Just looking forward to seeing that amazing river, fish or no fish!

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

Default Big fish

I am serious in that I would appreciate a report. Just post it here. For the past few years the Smith has had the biggest fish in CA. However I have been going south of Eureka becasue of the number of streams available.