Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: american salmon

Yep, right below the bridge, though those guys aren't slinging bait.We'er all fishing pretty much the same way just using different delivery systems.It works out well with the spin fishermen working the deep run on the upstream end and the fly guys fishing close to the rapids.When the fish are moving through we get first crack at 'em. Most times the fish caught there will turn and run back down the rapids. Everyone who's done it will tell you that that's the most exciting part, you have to hold the rod as high as you can and chase the fish down the rapid, then off the rapid through the current downstream a ways to get to shore, then you play the fish to shore in the calm water. I had kayaks going under my line last week while fighting a fish and wading downstream. Could use a couple more flyfishers down there to help offset all the gear guys crowding in on us. Just show up, walk to the rapids end of the line, anyone there will help you get started if you've never done it. Believe it or not, if there's no flyfishers there the gear guys will help you out, it's normally a very friendly crowd. My first time it was the gear guys that got me started. If you really want to look down your nose at the spin fishermen it's probably not a good place to be. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

For some it might be exciting to go there and watch the action from the Goethe Park walk over bridge in the morning?

I guess a trip to the Nimbus Fish Hatchery would be exciting now too. I am sure the place is loaded with King Salmon now.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill, I took my kids in there the other day. It was packed full, they had all the gates down holding the fish back from the ladder........but some of these guys were so acrobatic they were going over the gate and right on up the ladder. The kids had a great time.....all my 3 year old talks about is going back, because she wants to feed the fish (there wasn't any feeding going on while we were there). It's not that often that they get to see fish that are bigger than they are. And the visitor center is pretty good too. Great place to take the kids, and then you get to see some good fish too.

Hey Ed,

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the gear guys. I just hate that they will stand right in the best spots of the run chasing skunky old salmon while I could be catching steelies... LOL j/k. All the guys I've seen out there and talked too are good guys. I think I sill hit the rapids then but I know how to get to the bottom of them on that middle island so I'll try down there....

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Sorry Jeff, don't take it personally, I've been running into a few richards out there who just happen to fly fish. My nose is still a little out of joint. As happens every year the grave robbers are starting to show, chasing after fish that are mostly dead in the shallow water. I know that these fish are dying anyway but that knowledge doesn't make it any less rupugnant. Another couple of weeks and there will be thousands of these poor misguided souls up and down the river throwing giant bass lures loaded with treble hooks at the backs of spawning or spawned out salmon. Last year I hooked into a big buck out in the run, played it through all the snaggers to the shore where there were some kids with snag rods. That's how they were taught to fish by their dad. I let them examine that fish for a while and had one of them help revive and release it. I don't think dad was too happy with me but hopefully a seed was planted. I think most of the grave robbers have never seen a fresh strong salmon still on it's way up.Oh yeah, Mike, I didn't mean you. Stay calm, take a deep breath. ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Default Might get there this afternoon

I'm thinking about hitting Goethe for the last couple hours of light.
    Is it all Salmon or are there Steelies around?
    I'll probably just toss an egg pattern around if the run is not too crowded...
    Has anyone been up to the Upper Sunrise area lately?

Default Seasonal Closures....

Hi Nip,.... I believe the American, above the power line crossing in Ancil Hoffman Park, is closed until January 1st. Upper Sunrise is off limits until then.....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

ooops! forgot about the closure... guess I'll go take a number at Goethe

Got in at Watt around 3:30 PM yesterday...
    Not much happening...missed one take while day dreaming a bit.
    Talked to a game warden for a while...she claims the Steelies are hit and miss but "it's crazy" down at Goethe with the Salmon run...
    Talked to one drift boat on the way by that claimed one Steelhead and one Striper for the day...

Nip, Nip, Nip, you should have come up to Goethe. Around that time a school moved into the rapids where they were accessable to fly rods only. Miken showed up and we both had some of the fastest action yet this year. It was a hook-up almost every other cast and lasted a couple hours. It was nice, my buddies with the spin gear had been catching all day while it was slow going for me, then the tables completely turned, the fish stayed in the whitewater till dark. A hot salmon in the rapids, that's what it's all about. I don't think it gets any better than that. Ed