Thread: Mounting a new trolling motor on a 1986 Tide Runner

Default Mounting a new trolling motor on a 1986 Tide Runner

I have just purchased a new (to me) 13.5 ft. 1986 Tide Runner (like a Boston Whaler) and have a Minn Kota 55PD bow mount I plan to put on it. Here is my problem. The boat has enough room on the bow to mount the motor (over seven inches) but the hull is solid (fiberglass sandwich over foam as I understand it). That is you can't drill holes through the mounting shelf that come out so you can put nuts on the bolts. I have been told that I can use anchor bolts but I am concerned that one layer of fiberglass won't hold the weight of the motor. I sure don't want the motor ripping off part of the hull.

Does anyone have experience mounting a trolling motor where you can't bolt through the hull? Any help would be appreciated. The boat won't be much use on the Delta without a bow mounted trolling motor.

Thanks

I can't help you with the bolt question because I am not fanilar with the boat mentioned. You may want to look at the new quick release mount for the Minn Kota motors if you havent already. Link below.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...380&hasJS=true