Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spey Lines

JC,
    I would try either a 450 grain skagit or the body of a WC 10/11/12 (around 400 grains or so) on those rods if you wanted to try skagit casting.

To figue out what Rio skagit line to use (they have become the standard with good reason, of course) based on a med to fast action spey rod I have found this a standard when teaching and fishing, 6 Weight Rod=450 grain, 7 Weight Rod=500grain, 8 Weight Rod=550, 9-10 Weight Rod=650 or 750. Use the skagit cheaters to get a better turnover and add control the over grain weight for loading. I carry T-14 heads in 5, 10, 15, and 20 feet for skagit presentations. There are many benfits to skagit such as the ease of developing and anchor and d loop, casting heavy lead heads/flies and shooting distance. I still can't forget the main reason I fell in love with the spey rod, when fishing I could cast immediatley after the presentation was finished, no stripping line therefore, covered water quickly. I was also impressed at the control I had over a swinging fly by being able to mend out to 60 feet or more with a long belly spey line and bring the fly to a super slow crawl, holding it in the zone longer. Due to the nature of skagit line, these aspects are not possible. I use my skagit system mainly on coastal rivers where I'm casting 20 to 60 feet and I need to get down to the bottom in heavier flows.
    Spey rodders... it's that time of year, here they come, fresh from the salt!!!

Holy moley...I was thinking of getting into spey, but maybe not...

You need to go for it. Have Adam show you how to cast, he's pretty good at it and knows how to teach it too, and since you guys are buddies, he'll probably do it for a couple beers!
    Gregg Machel
    Webmaster & Fly Fishing Enthusiast

Yeah, leave the teaching me, JEFF - JERK!

I'm 006 punk!

Beat that POOTY!

I have taught Gregg a little bit at San Rafael last year in the rain.

Good Times!

Spey casting can be complicated, but fun.

Jeff really is the man. He's the 7th person to get his spey casting certification, which is very honorable and impressive! Jeff passed before some of the "Big names in spey casting."

Jeff is the real deal!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Spey casting/fishing is awesome! I have become a spey junkie over the last year and while i still have a lot of work to doas far as my casting, it makes fishless day that much more fun. Not to metion the fact that is makes fishing on the swing and fishing tips easier. Jeff Putnam has taught me a lot and i still have a lot to learn. If you are just getting started in spey casting i would highly reccomend a lesson from Jeff. If you have not tried spey yet, give it a try. you'll probably fall in love with it. I am already finding myself getting rid of some of my single hand rods to buy more soey rods!

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

You HAVE caught the sickness I see!

The final step is to reduce the singled handed rods in exchange for spey rods, VERY NICE!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I still hear funny comment over at the Spey rod rack from those who are un-informed. It is very understandable. I don't think we need to be 'dragging' people to Spey. I think we should let them come naturally.

"Looks like a lot of work."

"How would you land a fish on that?"

It was not truly excited about it till I went fishing with a Spey rod with knowledgeable people.

I was a real crazy Steelheader till I went flats fishing in the tropics in the mid-'80s. Then I got consumed with shallow salt water fly fishing.

Now after fishing the Grand Ronde this October I am really jazzed again for the Iron Heads and Spey casting. It might sound dumb but after my experience on the GR I don't picture myself using a single handed rod for Steelhead much. Yes there are some places where it will be better with a 'short' rod.

Spey on Dudes..............
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill, you need to take that new two hander out there on the American and find some of those early run winter steelies!

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com