Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spey Lines

Default Spey Lines

I'm new to this forum & relatively new to spey casting. When casting somewhat correctly (I'm up to 3 good casts out of 5), the advantages of spey casting are phenominal! My quandry is about spey lines. I have two ACR rods a 12'-6" 5wt. EPS & a 13'-3" 6wt. LS. I use the RIO Windcutter 5/6 mutitip on the 5wt. which works great on floating lines but have difficulty digging out sinking lines. The 6wt is much more forgiving with a RIO Windcutter 6/7/8 & I can dig out type 7 sinking as long as the fly isn't overly heavy. I want to try skagett (?) (shooting) but that seems to be a whole world of its own. Shooting a single hand rod usually requires having the head out of the tip-top with a foot or so of overhang & the smallest diameter/slickest runnig line possbile (ie the least resistance running line makes for a longer cast). As I understand spey casting (talking with Jeff) you have the head & foot or so of overhang, but still use a relatively long heavy body running line? I believe there was a posting under spey where windcutter 8/9/10 belly was used with a heavy head on a lighter (5wt.) rod? (ie the conventional heavy body spey aids in furthering the cast due to inertia in line turnover, the heavier belly doesn't contibute to overloading the rod prior to casting, only the head). At any rate how does one try different lines without going broke?

Hi JC -

I can't answer your line questions (mucho Spey guys on here will answer them shortly ...) , just wanted to say WELCOME TO THE BOARD

David

I dont know a whole lot about the skagit lines either but when speaking with Jeff Putnam they involve stripping in a lot of line prior to casting and then shooting a lot of line. It is a little shorter and quicker casting stroke. Based on everything i have read and heard they are great lines for fishing long and deep. I am anxious to try the skagit lines as well but intil i really need them i think i will hold off. As far as trying lines you might want to contact Jeff Putnam at the shop because he has a wide variety of lines and is usuallu giving lessons at Watt Ave on the American. You might be able to meet him there and try out a few. You can also go down to Watt Ave on saturdays and sundays and there are usually a handfull of guys down there casting different spey lines and rods. Mostly just practicing and talking about new and different spey stuff. This is a good way to learn new things about different aspects of spey casting and equipment and maybe even try a few new things.

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

Welcome to the board. I am not a pro spey caster but do have a Skaget line for my spey rod. The toatal head should be 3 to 3 1/2 times the length of your rod. They do have to be stripped back in if a long cast is made. They are fantastic for close in work in tight conditions. I find them easy to cast, but understand not all rods are good for this type of casting. I would talk to the builder for input on what line to use. I'm sure someone with more experience than I have will chime in here.Here is a link to Rio's site.
    http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/fly...useMet=0#chart

Mark

Mark, what rod do you have your skagit line on. I would think that a skagit line might be good for the rogue. I was thinking about bringing one up there to test out and see if i want to get one.

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop

Jason
    I have the Rio 650grn Skaget on a European Shakespeare 9/11 14ft. It is a beast of a rod and would use the 750grn as well. It is really way to much stick for the upper Rogue. It takes a 15lb fish to start working the Rod. It was great for our trip to BC and will make a good lower river rod for Kings. I am trying different spey rods for the upper Rogue trying to find one that fit my style of fishing. What rod are you thinking of using the Skaget line on?

Mark

Mark, i just picked up a burkheimer 13' 9" 8 weight. For now i am just going to throw a windcutter 8-9-10 on it but eventually i might try a 550 skagit with a 5' cheater. I hear it is a good setup on this rod. As for the rogue i am going to bring my 1287 scott arc and ACR 1204 up there to fish next week.

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop

Brett Guest

Default Spey

Jason, it sounds like you have almost as many fly rods now as you do golf clubs. Keep it up, and you can open your own shop.

The Skagit lines are better for throwing fast sinking tips for many especially those like me who are very new to Spey casting.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I was also curious about the Skagit lines vs. Traditional spey lines. I asked Jeff Putnam about this and if I should get another spool and start to learn Skagit. I was advised to not to go with the Skagit at this point since I already have a decent (with much room for improvement) cast. In talking to others, the Skagit line is easier to cast for someone just learning Spey casting, but as has been said above, it involves a lot of stripping and shooting of line, where you would not have this using the traditional lines.

My first spey casting experience was actually on a Skagit line on the Rouge River, and I was able to cast well enough after a 10 minute lesson on the first day to actually hook a couple large Steelhead (10 & 15 lb estimated), but didn't land either due to being brand new to Spey Rods.

I use an ACR 6 wt. with a Windcutter 7/8/9 line.

My 2 cents worth.
    Gregg Machel
    Webmaster & Fly Fishing Enthusiast