Thread: Andre Puyans passes on October 25, 2005.

Default Andre Puyans passes on October 25, 2005.

I took this off of Andy's web site for all to read:

"On October 25, 2005, André Michel Puyans passed from this life peacefully in Idaho Falls, Idaho. He enjoyed the summer living in his Island Park cabin near one of his most beloved rivers, the Henry's Fork of the Snake. Andy was one of flyfishing's great innovators and instructors, teaching his art and sport to countless thousands in California and the Western states. Andy will be greatly missed, for he enriched the lives of all who crossed his path.

Andy started fly tying at age seven, and got his first professional fly tying order at age nine. By age twelve he was able to cast a fly and hit a Lucky Strike package at thirty five feet. He spent long hours at the New York Anglers Roost and learned his art from the Darbees, the Dettes, Art Flick, and Ray Bergman. By age nineteen Al McClaine had written about Andy's Portland Colonel fly pattern in Field and Stream. That year, Andy took over management of the Atlantic salmon fishing camps in Newfoundland from Lee Wulff. During college, Andy worked for Abercrombie and Fitch, moving to San Francisco in 1958 to set up their tackle department.

In 1964, Andy brought fisheries conservation to California by forming the first Trout Unlimited chapter and council. He remained a TU National Director until 1972 when he started Creative Sports Enterprises in Pleasant Hill, one of the first full-service, fly-only tackle shops.

In the 1950's Andy started teaching fly tying and instructed over 6,000 students. He developed projects to rehabilitate hospitalized Viet Nam veterans and by 1963 had perfected the A.P. Nymph Series and the "loopwing" tying style. Andy established the Diablo Valley Fly Fishers' youth fly fishing program that sent youth to Federation of Fly Fishers national conclaves. "Andy's Kids" won the top three places each year they competed.

When creating flies Andy strived for perfection yet simplicity of execution. Andy developed and taught proper fly tying mechanics, preparation and handling of tying materials, and always emphasized the correct historical origins of flies and techniques. He was awarded the Federation of Fly Fishers highest fly tying honor, the Buz Buszeck Memorial Fly Tying Award in 1977.

Andy fished internationally in fresh and salt water since the mid 1950's. His favorite fish was trout. He was a requested speaker, author and demonstrator at Federation of Fly Fisher events and at International Sportsman Expositions. He was a world-class caster and an FFF Casting Certification Committee advisor.

Andy always continued to pioneer in fly fishing and fly tying. Ernie Schwiebert called him, "The Unabridged Ernie Schwiebert" and Ed Rice called Andy, "The Fly Fishing Renaissance Man".

Andy's life experiences reflected the evolution of the sport and made his induction into the Northern California Council Federation of Fly Fishers Hall of Fame on February 4, 1995 a fitting tribute. At that event, after a day of fly tying, well known humorist Seth Norman was at his best when he reviewed Andy's life and his contributions to fly tying, fly fishing, education and conservation. Friend's and former students Mike Henry, Greg Bevard and Dave McCants presented commemorative fly plates and meaningful memorabilia. Formal presentations and Andy's induction was conducted by NCCFFF President Dave Ford.

Jannifer Lee Puyans sincerely appreciates all the well wishes received. She may be reached at janniferlee@yahoo.com or andrepuyans@yahoo.com. All attempts to respond will be made. There are no immediate plans for memorial services at the present time and plans are underway for a celebration of his life. An announcement will be made at a latter time on this website."
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Andre Puyans....

I guess getting older makes you aware when people you know or have met, pass on unexpected. We've lost several people of stature in our sport, recently.

Originally read about Mr. Puyans passing on Blanton's site and have been thinking about it ever since.... Altho sad, his passing is cause for celebration of his contributions/life. This gives me the opportunity to recall my limited but interesting experience meeting him in his shop during the late 60's....

During that time, I drove to his shop in a converted home in pacheco, CA. The living room served as the retail shop and the kitchen area was used to die/prepare materials for sale. The ownership of that shop was an ill-fated partnership of Andre and Dave Inks. I'd never seen a shop of that type before but have seen several, since....

Andre was a large person (stature/personality). After the greeting, we discussed my need to locate some good Grizzly necks. As was the case at the time, high quality Grizzly necks were just not available.... So we ended up discussing waterborn insect types.... I realized during that conversation that I was so uninformed.... At any rate, Mr. Puyans treated me with respect and provided reading materials that described his loop wing dry flies plus others. All the while keeping up an ongoing dialogue with his partner and others in the kitchen.

I came away with what I considered a wake up call to educate myself about a subject I thought was already informed on and new found respect for Mr. Puyans.... Unfortunately, I never saw Mr. Puyans in person after that meeting. Even so, we still have his writings an contributions to the sport as his legacy.

Well, enough rambling. Tomorrow night, I'm going to heft a shot of Irish to celebrate the life/times of Andre Puyans and others who prededed him.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown