Thread: Tube Fly Supplies

Default Tube Fly Supplies

Does anyone out there tie tube flies? If so, I'm looking for a source of supply for metal tubes of brass, copper, etc. whatever may be used.

Any help would be appreciated,
    Thanks, TONY

I have been tying some tube flies for about a year now and they are great. I prefer to tie mine on plastic tubes as opposed to metal tubes though. I have heard of some guys tying flies on q-tips. The lighter tubes seem to fish better on tips and the heavier ones i like better on flaoting lines and long leaders. I bought all my stuff at Bill's shop and i know he has the stuff for the starter kit and various tubes. Hope this helps.

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

Default Metallic Tube Source

Hi Tony,..... If I recall correctly, small brass tubing may be purchased at most model airplane/hobby shops.... If there aren't any of those in Marysville/Yuba City, there's a big one here in Sacramento (R/C Hobbies on Folsom Blvd near 59th Street.... )
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Tony
    I got several sizes at Ace Hardware.

Default Tube Source

Thanks guys. I found an article on Fly Fisherman Magazine about tying tube flies and sources of supply too.

The information is actually for a friend in New Zealand named Eddie Bosomworth who's getting ready for a trip to Scotland fishing Atlantic salmon there.

Thanks again guys,
    TONY

A friend gave me some plastic tubes from HMH that were 3/32". They were clear, black and red. I have been looking for more of these because I liked the small diameter tube. If anyone knows where to locate these please pass it along.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

Default Tubes....

Hey Bruce,..... How about trying the source, HMH
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default tube flies

Check Kiene's first. If they don't have them, go here: http://www.wildernessangler.com. All orders get free shipping too, with no minimum order.

We stock the HMH tubes at Kiene's.

Call out toll free number today or tommorrow and ask for Jeff Putnam.

USA toll free 800 400 0359
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I tie alot of flies on tubes. Ranging from LMB to Sailfish. HMH is one of the suppliers for the hard plastic tubes. I made my own tube holder by using a sardine rigging hook. I just tapered the hook on a grinder to fit snug on the tube. If you decide to go that way, be sure to wear gloves, protective eye wear and use a pair of vise grips. My first try, I was holding on to the hook and grinding not knowing that the hook would eventually get "glowing hot". It was sort of like branding a cow, the fingers had BBQ marks across them. Yeah, I do alot of stupid things.

I know Kiene's has them on the shelf because the last time I was there, I was looking at them. Remember, support your local shop or they might not be there for you when you need them

Jay