Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: SECRET HOLIDAY SEASON SWAP

I got my flies too, but I don't know who they're from..... were they yours Thom?? I remember one being a stimulator but I haven't had time to check everything out closely.... They look great tho.

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Sully thanks for putting this swap together and allowing me to take part. To all I want to wish a Merry Christmas. I recieved three different very nice, no exceptional describes them best, bass flies from Hairstacker, and they all came gift wrapped in a nice plastic Plano box! Heck, I was ready to taste these myself because they look so good! Sorry Mr. Bass you are in trouble once anyone one of these beauties hit the water!!!

Wingman, thanks for the very nice comments! I enjoyed receiving your flies as well, a couple of very attractive Clousers tied with very nice colors and materials that I just know the bass are going to love, as well as a pinky that will definitely come in handy this coming late spring for shad. And Thom, thanks again for hosting this one, very nicely done and a great format for the season!!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Been gone for a while. Just got home to find Steve Schalla's Black Heron Speys waiting for me. Really nice flies, Steve. I'm thinking those might work well on the Trinity or Klamath (although they're almost too nice to fish). Any input, Steve?
    patrick

SullyTM Guest

jeff...The flies are from Santa who took over when your drawn name had to withdrawl. Since you were a nice man during 2005 Santa had something for you Enjoy! thom

Default Black Heron Speys

Hey Patrick,
    Those Black Heron Speys are fishin' flies to be sure. Let me know how they do for you. My brother-in-law flung a few on the River Spey in Scotland as he was retracing his roots. I immersed myself into the patterns with Shewey and Ververka's books. Not sure who developed the Black Heron pattern as there are numerous variations going back to the mid-1800's. The traditional patterns used a Wool body, often Berlin Wool or materials that would be readily available within the area. The modern patterns often use the floss bodies. The Spey flies are defined by the downwing of Bronze Mallard segments, usually married together forming a flat canopy over the body. Getting consistent wings is the problem I usually have. Hope you have success with them. Happy New Years.
    Steve
    Steve Schalla
    Flyfishing the Sierras
    http://stevenojai.tripod.com