Thread: Trinity has fish.

Default Trinity has fish.

Some of our fishing budiies were up on the Trinity River near Del Loma this past weekend. The spotting some big schools of large steelhead. They went a ways upstream and did very well.

They said they will be back there the next two weekend weither they get devorced or not.

November is a very popular month for the Trinity River.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Re: Trinity

Bill,

Just got back from a short tip on the Trinity below Junction city. Had never fished it but I heard we were a little early, flows would be low and there would be lots of fisherman. All were true. We had a slow first couple days with one 24 inch adult on an egg pattern and a few nice halfpounders swinging oct caddis and drifting golden stones. Then a storm came in Tuesday night. We got up early and fished a riffle we had unsuccessfully fished the day before and had a great day. I had probably 15 adults on, a couple that cleared the water would go 10 pounds easily. Managed 4 fish to hand from 23 to 26 inches. several LDRs and 4 fish where the hook pulled out at my feet as I was landing them. They were taking small nymphs including green Foxs poopahs, chartreuse brassies (size14) and bead head olive birds nest size 12. The small flies I guess just don't hold well on those big fish. I had 2-3 fish saw off my 8.5 lb test tippet also. I also got a 20 inch brown in the same riffle that was shaped like a football and must have weighed five lbs. All the adult steelhead were fin clipped and all were released. It was a very good day. My arm still hurts. I will definitely go up there again.

Best regards,

FFdoc
    "I am haunted by the waters"

Nice report. Sounds like you found a nice school of fish moving through. A good tip for fishing the Trinity if you are using small nymphs is to tie them on a larger or heavier wire hook. A few years ago when i nymphed that river a lot more i had really good success fishing about a #14 flashback PT tied on a #8-10 TMC 2457 hook. I landed about 90% of my hooked fish this way. The sam goes for other rivers like the rogue, yuba, and american.

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com