Thread: Trinity River 10/20/05

Default Trinity River 10/20/05

I went to the lower Trinity river on Thursday and Friday. After a long drive Thursday morning it turns out I did more hiking than fishing. After spotting a really nice looking hole I had to go up and down the highway looking for access. Well, after an hour trying to get there I ended up at the edge of the river where the rock wall went straight down and the water got real deep, real fast. So I ended up fishing a hole that looked just "ok." Managed a half- pounder and a bunch of smolts.
    Next morning I headed early to a different run that looked perfect. About 20 minutes of fishing and had a hit, but didn't hook it. Five minutes later had a similar hit and hooked it. Now I was very excited because the hits I got were different than the smolts and half-pounders I always catch. Sure enough it was a beautiful adult steelhead, my first ever. I continued to fish until early afternoon and caught a couple more half-pounders, then made the long drive back to San Jose. I have been trying to get an adult for a long time and this was good timing for me because I will not have as much fishing time anymore since I am
    going from a part-time to a full-time job now...

Here's a picture, I think it is about 6 pounds, but I'm just guessing...

Brian

Default Steelhead!!!!

Hey Brian,.... Congrats!! That's a beautiful fish. I know that fishing interferes with work but, if you have to work full time now , don't forget to smell the roses and you'll get plenty more chances to catch more fish like that one.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

nice fish! reminds me of my first steelhead ever also on the trinity