Thread: Jr. Fly Rods (child size)

Default Jr. Fly Rods (child size)

I have a grandson that got hooked on the fly. I set up a ultra light outfit for him with a clear bobber with a fly drop. Now he wants to move up to the real thing. A 9 foot rod seems to long for him to handle anybody got any recomdations for a smaller rod (he is nine years old) Say like a 7"6". He also hooked on tying I think I have the worlds supply of buggers.

Default KIDS FLY ROD

GRANDPA, I HAVE A 7'6" 5 WEIGHT FLY ROD AND REEL YOUR GRANDSON MAY USE UNTIL YOU DECIDE ON AN OUTFIT. IF YOU ARE WANTING TO BUY AN OUTFIT I THINK THE REDINGTON RS3 OUTFIT IS AN EXCELLENT CHOICE. IT COMES WITH A LIFETIME WARRANTY AND THE TIP ACTION IS WELL SUITED FOR KIDS TO LEARN TO FLY CAST WITH. BOTH OF YOU HAVE EXCITING TIMES AHEAD, ENJOY! ARMO

Default FLY TYING KIT

FORGOT TO TELL YOU THAT I HAVE A COMPLETE FLY TYING KIT THAT YOUR GRANDSON MAY HAVE, JUST LET ME KNOW, I CAN MAIL TO KIENE'S ALONG WITH THE ROD AND REEL OR MEET YOU AT KIENE'S. LOOK AT THE RS3 OUTFITS AT KIENE'S. IF $ ARE AN ISSUE, AGAIN YOU MAY BORROW MINE, NO PROBLEM! ARMO

Default Beginners Fly Outfits.....

Hey Gramps (please forgive the familiarity),.... Sounds like you've already got a good solution and one alternative.

I'd like to suggest another alternative. That being while you're at Kiene's, or whatever your fly shop is, that you look at the beginners outfits that're offered by Loomis. The outfit consists of a rod/reel/line and comes in a tube. They're about the same price you'd pay for a rod by itself.....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default RS3 outfits

The rs3 outfits come with a four piece rod, large arbor reel, rod and reel case, fly line, backing, and leader. Priced at $320, ARMO

Hey! Very cool to get him going... if you are looking for something in a rod only I would recommend a St. Croix 3 weight at 7'6". It is a great value rod and has all of the qualities that you would begin looking for in more expensive rods. Besides, if he doesn't like fishing you've got a nifty little creekin' rod for those brushy 50 cfs favorites you've got hidden up your sleeve.
    Bruce
    fish first, ask for time off later...

Default Thanks for the Offer

Darmocido:

Thanks for the offer of equipment, Guys like you make this sport enjoyable. I was able to score a demo 4 weight 8' Scott rod for him, Guess I will put a Galvan r-3 on it. Pops might be using the setup more then he will on our small streams up here. He already decided to rent the outfit to me for $5.00 a day when hes not using it.

Default Fly Tying Kit

Would you still like the fly tying kit? If so post your address or email at middleforkoutfitters@hotmail.com and I will mail it to you so you can give it to your grandson. ARMO

Hey Dave A.

Very nice of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob