Thread: october caddis

Default october caddis

Anyone know, do October Caddis emerge off the water or do they have to crawl out and dry off for a bit before they can fly around? I caught a few this weekend and checked them out and brought one home to use as a pattern reference. I will try to post some pics when I can.

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Default October Caddis Emerger....???

Hey Jeff,.... Not sure whether these Caddis crawl out first or not....
    I've seen many patterns tied to imitate pupal, emergant and adult stages of this bug, tho.

I've caught fish on October Caddis flies in water (eddies, skinny water, etc.) where you wouldn't normally expect to see 'em. I've been fishing on the upper Sacramento at dark, during September, when they were hatching and had to duck to keep 'em from banging in to me (....large, clumsy fliers, they are). Always thought they emerged from the water.

Guess I've never really thought about it. I just make sure I have that pattern around during the late summer/fall as Trout certainly do go for 'em.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Jeff, I believe October caddis do it all: Some will hatch mid-river, many will swim to the shallows to hatch, and some will actually crawl up on streamside rocks to hatch.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.