Thread: American caddis hatches

Default American caddis hatches

My gawd!!!! The dusk caddis hatches on the American this year are freaking unbelievable! I've personally never seen so many bugs.....on ANY river I've fished. It got so bad the other day at Elmanto, I couldn't stand it anymore. Caddis down my shirt/waders, covering my hat, face, neck, arms, etc.

And it's not just upstream......go down to the Paradise/Log Hole area....same deal.

I'm assuming the increase in bugs is due to the high, cool flows we've had this year. A few splashy rises around, but I think most fish are taking the emergers. The fish are getting really fat on these things!

I agree, the three small fish I caught were definitely very robust and fatty pigs for their size. I think the fishing is tough because the fish are just gorged for the most part as well and can afford to be very selective on what they take. I'm fishing at Goethe and I see a nice tan caddis, darkish, and a few very light almost white ones, which are becoming more prevalent, and huge swarms of tiny midges or maybe some other diptera, and a cream colored mayfly has been kind of sporadic as well. And on Sunday a large winged ant in good numbers were floating by, but mostly cripples from birds I think as most of them were missing their abdomen. But there are thousands of caddis swarming and it does get pretty annoying with all of them swarming you. Makes specimen collection easy though....

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

although I have had limnitted outings this year, I have to say that I have not wittnessed the pheominal hatches to which you attest. In fact, I would say that the few times I have been out for the evening rise at geothe and watt, the hatches have been less than remarkable.

Perhaps this is just my luck or poor memory.

MN

Hi Mike,

It must be Fall.........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I believe those hatches vary a lot from one day to the next. I think it goes in cycles.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Fall is here. :-)

I was in the shop the other day, it was nice to see your lovely bride and the gang.

Hope to see you next time I am in.

Miken