Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sierra Stonefly Nymph Swap

Ueyama, one of the cool things about fly swaps is the opportunity to see thoughtful, creative pattern variations -- witness Steven's post above soliciting feedback on two variations of legs for his stonefly. If you think it would be cool to add to the standard recipe and you like the looks of the end result better, I say go for it. Like Darian said in the other thread, if you think you still have basically the same fly with minor alterations, identify it as a "variant." If you think you've altered it to the point that it is really a new pattern design, then make up a new name for it. It may just be that everyone will like your version better than the original. The main thing, of course, is to have fun with it as you try to give it that something extra that hopefully gives it more eye, er, fish appeal.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Just to check in.... I'll be looking for your package, Darian. If we get everyone's flies sooner than the deadline, I'll get these back to you sooner also. Concur with Hairstacker's comments, fly swaps are meant to be creative and fun. I usually host an April Fool's Day swap with some really great flies like the Ultimate Fish Emerger fly which looks like three sticks of dynamite with a fuse.....all in fun.
    Just got back from atop Mt Whitney this weekend. 70 mph winds and a wind chill in the teens. Snowing on the way down. Found some Goldens just above Outpost Camp on the east side of the mountain.
    Steve Schalla
    Steve Schalla
    Flyfishing the Sierras
    http://stevenojai.tripod.com

Default Bird's Stonefly Nymph

Recieved the Bird's Stonefly Nymphs from Darian. Beautiful flies. Darian used a flashabou wingcase over turkey tail with a palmered hackle over the thorax. Here's the pic:

The fly designer, the late Cal Bird, is one of the most reknowned fly tiers coming from Northern California. He also developed a dry version of this fly which consists of a orange floss body with a trimmed furnace hackle rib and a bucktail wing. It is quite similar to Kaufmann's stimulator. I don't find much information on Cal Bird's bio. We are assuming that the design date was sometime before 1965, Cal designed his Bird's Nest in 1959. If you know of some good source material, please let me know.
    Steve
    Steve Schalla
    Flyfishing the Sierras

Default Bird's Stonefly Nymph

Hi Steve,.... I think the patterns were developed earlier than the 70's. I have a copy of McCLANE'S STANDARD FISHING ECYCLOPEDIA.... circa 1965. Both nymphs (Brown/grey) and the dry pattern appear in photo's in it.....

I agree, there isn't much historical info about Cal Bird available. One of our best fly tiers....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Steve -

Flies are in the mail .

Before anyone calls 'em SLOP . I've compared them w/ the tight chennile ones (the dubbed bodies work better , IMO ...) . I even put eyes and feelers on them for you fellas , though the Trout don't care much .... I think the best thing you could to them is fluff 'em up w/ a piece of Velcro

Fuzzy is good

Also , they are un-weighted - a few splitshot will get them down , and they drift better than 'spark-plug' ties :P .

Thank you for hosting !! =D>

David

Nice tie Darian!
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Default Bird's Stonefly...some info

I spoke to Andy Burk recently about the late Cal Bird. Andy was a close friend of his. Cal Bird passed away in 1999. He originally had a fly shop in San Francisco but spent the last 25 years of his life in Reno. Cal was an avid flyfisherman and tier, but was not a guide. The Bird's Stonefly pattern predates the Bird's Nest. Andy thought that it was developed around the mid-fifties. Cal designed the stonefly along the banks of Burney Creek. The fly was marketed by Dan Bailey of Montana and is still popular today. Cal also had a couple of other notable flies: the Bird's Caddis and the Yogurt Parachute. You might also encounter the Cal Bird dubbing tool....this was developed for Cal by Frank Matterelli and is still marketed within many fly shops today.
    Steve Schalla
    Steve Schalla
    Flyfishing the Sierras

Default Cal Bird....

Thanks for the history/info.... Wonder of Mr. bird had a profession, other than fly tying I really enjoy learning about the backgrounds of fly fisherman/tyers.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

sent the flies out on saturday. i hope they get there on time. i did not have toe tags but did have narrow post its. i hope this suffices. i put each fly in a plastic bag, the one i get beads and hooks in. can you tell me where to get toe tags.

thanks, mike.

Default Toe Tags

Hi Mike,..... If you have MS WORD or similar wordprocessing software on your computer, you can make Toe Tags by typing/sizing/printing the page. Cut them out and hook each tag at the bend of the hook.... (Hope I haven't confused you on this )

Author unknown